Old School Boat Building

That boat turned out much more refined than I thought something hacked out of a log would be. I am curious as to why they drilled a hole in the bottom of it, then plugged it up with a plug and cut the plug off flush.

Was pretty cool watching them use all of the old fashioned planes and adzes and axes. :thumb:

i think i figured out the why behind thier drilling the hole in the bottom, and then plugging it. it's a primitive form of checking the thickness of the bottom. what better way than to be able to see the cross section of it, then filling it in?:thumb:

being of acadian heritatge, it's pronounced acadia, and acadian, not ar-cadia, or ar-cadian. besides, the acadians didn't peacefully leave acadia, they were thrown out by the british, who renamed acadia nova scotia.

Last edited:
i think i figured out the why behind thier drilling the hole in the bottom, and then plugging it. it's a primitive form of checking the thickness of the bottom. what better way than to be able to see the cross section of it, then filling it in?:thumb:

That makes sense. And that little stick they used did have a hook on the end of it.

History preserved.
Very interesting. The use of neander tools was a lesson in itself.
The faces of the people were classics too.
Took a long time to download but was worth the wait.
'Pee-rows' are still in use although I doubt many, if any, are still made that way.

I was impressed with all the power tools being used.(not) I kept wondering how Norm would copy this..

I also got a lick out of sawing to the line with that big crosscut then checking depth with a tape. Wondered if that was for the camera..

Also loved all the kids being mesirmezed with the process. Be neat if one of them were on the list, they would be about 70 now as I figure.

Garry