Spalted Maple Vase

Well haven't had really as much time to turn as I want but hey in 48 days I can turn to my hearts content being retired. Anyway I turned this vase last weekend. It is spalted maple. 9 1/2" tall and 6" at the widest. It has 7 coats of wipe on poly and buffed with Ren wax. It wasn't the best maple in the world as it had several soft spots. I used my epoxy cocktail of 5 min epoxy mixed up and then mixed with DNA to the consistancy of milk. I painted all the soft spots till they wouldn't take anymore after I turned the wall thickness to near what I wanted. Dried for 24 hrs and then finished turning. Lady picked it up tonight raving about it and didn't say a word when she wrote the check for $130. It is a Christmas present for her new DIL.

Attachments

• Maple Spalted Vase 3.jpg
    Maple Spalted Vase 3.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Maple Spalted Vase 1.jpg
    Maple Spalted Vase 1.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 41
Wonderful shape and grain Bernie. You know what you doing alright. I like the elegance of it. Looks sturdy yet has a light feel to it and the top finish is cool.

Could do with a better picture though. On my screen it looked alittle hazy. But i could see the grain patterns.:thumb:

Very nice. Great looking wood even if it was a bit punky. You did a great job with it too. Glad you described your epoxy soup. I've got a project that I'm trying to work the details out on and haven't been satisfied with my results yet. This might just be the answer I need.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Yep know the pic's are poor but there just hasn't been enough time to do everything. Working full time, clock repair shop to run after work, and trying to turn, well..... Being camera illiterate of course that is the last thing to get tackled. I am hoping once retired and have some time to play with it things will get better hopefully.