David Marks Gilding and Patina

Hey everyone. Was wondering if anyone knew information on the process that he uses to do this stuff. I know he sells a DVD on his website regarding the steps for about $60. Does anyone have this DVD? Is it worth buying or checking into?

I don't know that I'll be getting into it anytime soon, but it fascinates me and I always forget to ask about it on here. I would like to try and incorporate this in pieces eventually. Not all of them, but I reaaaallly want to give it a try.

Has anyone done this process? Easy to pick up on? I can assume it's pretty messy. Thanks in advance

I saw the episode, I want to say he used a solution of ammonia in a rubber maid tub. The copper didn't go into the solution, but was propped up above it in the container. A quick google should find you a solution to use. Some of the stained glass shops also sell a patina solution that will turn a piece green pretty quickly.

:lurk:

Westley,

I'm not all that familiar with the patina process, so I will be interested in learning that too.

But I can help you with most any gilding questions you might have. Gold leaf work was one of my favorite things that I did in the sign business.

Aloha, Tony

Darren, thanks for the link, that is very informative and a great start!

Stu, never thought of the library, I don't think I've been there since gradeschool :) Thanks, I'll check it out

Tony, good to know about the leafing. If I have more questions regarding that I know who to come to :) And you bet I'll post my experience as I try this patina. So when the time comes I'll share info to anyone who wants to know. Hopefully I'll try this sooner than later, but it could be awhile.

Thanks everyone