vacumm help???

larry merlau

ok i was given this style of vacumm pump, only mine is missun the stuff that goes in the five holes..the top piece in this pic shows a chrome looking piece and a blck piece built withit???? any way its a precision scientific pump. i have tried to get info on this but no avail.. the model doesnt show up on mine:rolleyes: the number for the cat. no is this 10021-23 and the
S.N. is 23ak-11.. first of all i am tryun to find out if the cfm on this is enough for a bag and if so what size of bag. also i need to know what pieces i need to make this work for bag...help!!!!!! i have inserted a pic i found that looks like what i have ps-D25.jpg
thanks for what help you folks can offer:thumb:

That's a heck of a gift - that model pump goes for about $400 used, where-is-as-is, on the street.

It may be time to grab up wrenches & do some exploring. I'm pretty positive the silver tube stickin' out the top is an air outlet. There should be another tube or fitting near it that'd be the vacuum (air) inlet (the business end). That inlet should be filtered to keep dust & crud from your bag getting into the pump.

Let's talk about the five holes you mention - can you show us a DiggiePic of 'em? About what size are they? Where are they located? Are they threaded? If they are, are they threaded for bolts or for pipe? If you turn the pump by hand (belt guard removed for the purpose) does air puff out any of 'em? Any develop suction that wants to suck the skin off your fingertip?

Someplace is probably a drain hole for the pump's oil reservoir, and another place a filler cap & yet another place there's probably a sight glass. There's not a lot more that should be necessary for a pump like that - cover plates & the shaft that drives it & one air inlet & one air outlet.

This is as close as I could come. It's a slightly smaller unit, but looks like the same shell as yours.

I did find a price for a new D150. $3275.00!!!! :eek: :eek:

The d75 pulls 2.6 cfm, but I can't find a conversion for the 13.3Mpa into inches of mercury.

Last edited:
well here ya go tim.. the two top holes and the one big hole in frt are 1/2" pipe thread the bottom hole on the frt has a brass fiting in it??? the top back side has a small chrome threaded piece with a flat on it on one side// i tried to find a model and all i got is what i have gave you guys, but if its the one jim found its to small of cfm for any good bag use??? i was told i need at least 5cfm and preferably 7cfm...

tn_pump pics 001.jpg

tn_pump pics 002.jpg

tn_pump pics 003.jpg

larry,
a little dinky pump will pull vacuum on a big bag............it`ll just take a while to suck `er down.
what you have will work fine for an 8' bag......if you want quicker holding power use a storage container, old propane jugs work fine or an old compressor tank.
good ol` rebuildable american oilbath pump!

well here ya go tim.. the two top holes and the one big hole in frt are 1/2" pipe thread the bottom hole on the frt has a brass fiting in it??? the top back side has a small chrome threaded piece with a flat on it on one side// i tried to find a model and all i got is what i have gave you guys, but if its the one jim found its to small of cfm for any good bag use??? i was told i need at least 5cfm and preferably 7cfm...

I'm gonna' go out a limb & say I BELIEVE that the one 1/2" port on the front is PROBABLY your vacuum source. The 1/2" port on top - directly above the one on the front - is PROBABLY your exhaust air (the stuff the pump pulls out of the bag). We can check both if you hold your thumb across each of those openings while you turn over the pump by hand.

Now... the OTHER 1/2" port on the top, I believe, is an oil fill hole. The small brass fitting on the front, I think, is an oil drain port - it should have a petcock on it.

Can we get a good closeup look at the chrome fitting on the backside?

BTW... Tod's right on the money. A pump that size will suck all the air out of a battleship if it's sealed tight - it'll just take a long time. If you need it to work a really big bag, you can use an "accumulator" to "store up vacuum" like air in a tank... and you can use any sort of pressure tank to "contain" vacuum, like propane barbecue bottles, Freon tanks, compressor tanks, anything like that. Tires don't work so well, they just go REALLY REALLY FLAT. :)

Heck, you CAN even use 4" PVC pipe for a vacuum "accumulator". Don't use it for pressure, but you can use it for vacuum till the cows have all come home & tiptoed upstairs to bed.

...i was told i need at least 5cfm and preferably 7cfm...

No way! A 4 X 8 bag, full of air, will only be about 25 cubic feet, and with a workpiece in it, and most of the air squeezed out before sealing, probably wouldn't exceed 10 cubic feet - probably way less. At 10 ft³, your pump would suck it flat in less than four minutes. Once all the air is out, the pump isn't pulling anything - it's just pulling against the vacuum it's already accumulated. (unless there's a leak, of course.)

I have two Gast pumps - a big, noisy ¾ hp,that pulls 3 ft³, and a much quieter ¼ hp one that only pulls 1 ft³. I use the smaller one about twice as often as the big one.

so in the am i will give yu a close up off the chrome part tim,,, tonight its time fer sleep:)

ok i woke back up:) thats a good thing right:) any way here is the close up pic yu asked for tim.. and tod or someone, can you show me an example of how to hook up this accerlator tank???? also should i dissamble this pump and clean it up and then go to work at making a bag system with it.. or just use it as is,, also from the pics i have shown i would appreciate any help i can get in the replumbing of it to make it work..thansk..:thumb:

Attachments

• tn_pump pics.jpg
    tn_pump pics.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
gotta agree with yu randy,, the housing looks the same. and the motor no. is the same too mine doesnt have the name plate on the frt which would have been nice to have so i would know what it was ?? but ok lets say its one of these, is it big enough to do a large bag? 4x8?

Just a suggestion, Larry. That pump appears to be one that can pull a lot more vacuum than you'd need for woodworking applications, but doesn't have a high CFM rating. It does seem to have value to people who need a high vacuum (based on eBay sales).

Why not sell the one you have and buy a pump better suited to woodworking applications? You can get one from Joe Woodworker for about $120. I have that one and it works well, decent CFM, and it's oilless.

Mike