New (to me) Band Saw

Tom Niemi

Staff member
Well my good bud Larry was watching out for me today:D He came across a used band saw, a tool I didn't have and wanted. Went with him today to check it out, and put in in the back of my truck and gave it a new home:D. Not the biggest, baddest, most powerfull out there, but will fill my needs just right:thumb: Its a Central Machinery 14" 1 HP. Needs a good cleaning, has rust on the table to clean up, throw on a new set of tires and it will be good to go. It sure is going to be a welcome addition to my shop. Thanks again Larry, sure do appreciate it:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• BandSaw.jpg
    BandSaw.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 60
  • BandSaw Spec Plate.jpg
    BandSaw Spec Plate.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 48
  • BandSaw Table.jpg
    BandSaw Table.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 52
Great get for sure, and that Larry fella, he sure is helpful ain't he :D :thumb:

A little elbow grease and you will have that saw working like new.

You WILL wonder how you got a by this long without one :wave:

Congrats Tom. Nice saw. (I like those "faucet handle" cover knobs)

Good job Larry. I think Tom will be thanking you for a long time to come.

As for the rusty table, a single edge razor blade held at a low angle will remove the most of the rust, just like a plane shaves off curlies from a board. Then a little of Stu's "elbow grease" with some WD-40 and a Scotchbrite pad, followed by a good cleaning with mineral spirits and a good coat of paste wax.

That will make that table good for your woodworking. Works for me.

Aloha, Tony

Last edited:
That's great that Larry helped you find a good band saw Tom. When your with Larry looking at tools keep a watch out behind you though Bill Satko has a habit of showing up in the strangest places. He'll walk up behind you & call you by name before you even know he's there. Nice guy but he can be a little spooky when he tries.(insert Twilight Zone theme music here).

Thanks all, I am really looking forward to using it:) I have started cleaning it up and besides the rusty table it seems to be in quite good shape. Bearings roll smoothly, tight no slop and quiet:thumb: have to order up new tires next week and a blade or 2. It has a 1/4" blade on it but the lower wheel had no tire and they used it that way so the inner side of the blade has been flattened and is no good:rolleyes: Since I have never had a bandsaw before what size would be a good basic blade to get? 1/2" maybe:dunno: and tooth per inch:huh:

Thanks all, I am really looking forward to using it:) I have started cleaning it up and besides the rusty table it seems to be in quite good shape. Bearings roll smoothly, tight no slop and quiet:thumb: have to order up new tires next week and a blade or 2. It has a 1/4" blade on it but the lower wheel had no tire and they used it that way so the inner side of the blade has been flattened and is no good:rolleyes: Since I have never had a bandsaw before what size would be a good basic blade to get? 1/2" maybe:dunno: and tooth per inch:huh:

1/2" is too wide for a 'basic' blade. A good all-arounder is 3/8"X6tpi. Having a 3/4"X4tpi on hand for resawing is a very good idea. And, also 1/8"X (I dunno :dunno:, will have to check) can be very handy. You can make tight turns and cuts with the 1/8" that are not possible with bigger.
Do check out Suffolk machine for their Timberwolf blades. They usually have a deal going on. e.g. buy two, get one free, or similar.

1/2" is too wide for a 'basic' blade. A good all-arounder is 3/8"X6tpi. Having a 3/4"X4tpi on hand for resawing is a very good idea. And, also 1/8"X (I dunno :dunno:, will have to check) can be very handy. You can make tight turns and cuts with the 1/8" that are not possible with bigger.
Do check out Suffolk machine for their Timberwolf blades. They usually have a deal going on. e.g. buy two, get one free, or similar.

Exactly the info I am looking for Frank:thumb: Will check out Suffolk for sure and see if they have any deals going on, I love deals:D

Good for you Tom! but did you take the first pic kneeling down or what? It looks an extremely tall bandsaw to me, like if you were cutting wood at shoulder level at the minimum.:dunno:

Good for you Tom! but did you take the first pic kneeling down or what? It looks an extremely tall bandsaw to me, like if you were cutting wood at shoulder level at the minimum.:dunno:

You will find out in the spring Toni, I am SHORT:eek::p:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Actually I was sitting on my rolling assembly table (that is only 20" high)