question on laminated wood for bowl

Drew Watson

Just wanted to know if there is anything to watch out for when turning laminated wood. I salvaged a chunk of 2x6 fir beam from an older school we were renoing earlier this year. I was going to use it for firewood but with the new lathe thought it might be fun to try to turn a bowl out of it. I have the outside turned and have cleaned it up with the scrapers now I will be starting the inside and hollowing it out. Just a little leary of how this stuff will react when I start working it down. anything to watch out for or should I just pass on this and use it for fire wood? All advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• renfrew beam 002.JPG
    renfrew beam 002.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Renfrew beam 2 003.JPG
    Renfrew beam 2 003.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Renfrew beam 2 004.JPG
    Renfrew beam 2 004.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 45
Looks like you are doing fine. Pine is soft. But, if this were at the beginning, I would caution you about those knots in there. They could 'catch' you off guard. But, it seems, they didn't.

Looks great so far, keep it going, but, make darn sure you have a stout enough tenon on the bottom of that thing, a really good stout tenon is NOT a waste of wood, busting off a bowl blank and having it careen around your workshop because the tenon was too skimpy, THAT is a waste of wood! :doh: :D DAMHIKT :rolleyes:

From the looks of it, your tenon looks stout enough, but what chuck and jaws are you using?

Some jaws need a straight tenon, like you have, some need a dovetailed tenon.

Cheers!

It looks like you're already past what I would have warned you about - that being a GOOD glue joint. Any glue starvation will blow the bowl in a hurry. If it's hangin' together at this point, ya got a good joint. :)

Thanks guys I was just concerned about getting into it. The jaws that I have Stu are (I feel)too small. I have the standard 50mm / 2 inch set and have ordered the 75mm / 3inch power grip jaw set that should be here by tomorrow. Still waiting for the stand though and am doing all this with it sitting on the saw horses. Yes being very careful. lol