Spalted Oak Hollow Form

Jeff Bower

Still needs a couple more coats of oil, but it's finished besides that. 7" tall and just about as wide at the rim. Danish oil finish. What do you all think of the shape? :dunno:

Attachments

• p_00106.jpg
    p_00106.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 52
  • p_00108.jpg
    p_00108.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 42
  • p_00109.jpg
    p_00109.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 44
Not too sure on this, but it's really down to personal taste. Do yopu like it? that is what matters. Can't help feeling it needs two handles somehow. Don't know why...just looks that way to me. Can't fault it in any way. Just my taste (or lack of it perhaps:p)

Pete

Great piece of wood Jeff, You did a fine job on the turning, but the form doesn't really send me. The sharp transition from the side to the top doesn't appeal to me personally, but others will like it more just because of that transition. I guess if all our tastes were the same, things would get boring quickly, huh?

Jeff - I really like the wood! Great color!

I agree that shape/form is a matter of personal taste and what is important is how you feel about it. That being said, I've turned a few things with sharp shoulder areas and in my opinion, the shape would benefit from a smaller foot area and more of a curve going from the shoulder area to the foot. The top portion may benefit from a concave curve to the opening but like I said - it's just an opinion. I do find that the more I turn - the more I try to avoid straight lines as part of a design whenever possible.

not tryun to be critic, but i think it needs handles too.. and once they are on there. it may go faster than you think.. imagine a large bouguet of fake flowers in it and then yu can see the real picture..