Making a Tiled Trivet

As you know Chas I'm no turner, but I've bookmarked this post for future reference, one never knows...:)

Thanks a lot for taking the time of making such a thorough post.:thumb:

Thanks Chas I really do appreciate the time that you put into posting this. It is great and helps me understand more of how it is done. I will definatly be making one for mom and her tea pot. First I have to find a round ceramic plate that i can use.

Thanks Chas, beautiful piece. I'll have to try one sometime.

I noticed your screw chuck is blunt on the end. Mine is tapered, like a lag bolt. Does your style work better for you? What is the reason it is flat?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Aloha, Tony

I noticed your screw chuck is blunt on the end. Mine is tapered, like a lag bolt. Does your style work better for you? What is the reason it is flat?

It's flat ended because it's home made Tony and I did not want to upset the settings of my lathe to turn a taper.
Having said that I find that it does give a better grip in a drilled hole as long as the drill size matches the core diameter.

It does mean that on harder woods (like Oak) the drill size needs upping half a mm or so to reduce resistance.

I find in general it gives a more predictable grip than a tapered screw, I use it on quite thin stock at times (like discs) with a packing piece of MDF behind, I tend to use it a lot though because of the quickness of fixing, often on blanks above the limit of my over-bed swing.

Last edited: