16 inch jointer up and running

ken lutes

Well it took long enough I have been way to busy at daytime job. All machine work done to accept ball bearings, new motor and mount installed, 3 phase motor starter rewired for single phase, tables set and leveled and painted. Still need to hone blades, add sheet metal shields to allow vac hose and make a guard. Any suggestions on guard??? Runs smooth and quite. Love it!

Oh, that is NIIIIIICE.

It doesn't look like there's any good place to mount a lambchop-style guard unless it's slung from above, over the top of the workpiece... which would be a possibility. It might be better in this case, though, to use an English-style guard - a horizontal bar mounted on the fence, directly over the cutterhead, absolutely preventing one's hands from slipping in. A guard like that could be attached with switchable magnets or could be more simply clamped to the fence (it should be adjustable to accomodate workpieces of various heights).

In this case, I think I'm leaning toward the positive insurance of the bar-type guard.

That jointer sure came out looking nice. Your jointer is wider than the planers that a lot of us have. It could double as a landing strip for small aircraft. :p I'll second Tim's suggestion for the European-style guard.

I had a hole in mine that even had a threaded hole for a set screw, so it was simple.

d20-finished3.jpg

I glued in bronze bushing, ordered a piece of drill rod and wa-laa, a guard. In your case you would have to make a bracket to mount a guard on.

If you do go with a pork chop style spend some time with a mock-up of some kind. I took me a while to get the shape right so that that blade was covered all the time.

Last edited:
OK, I found my pics.........

blade_guard_bracket.jpg
That is the bracket I put on the side of the machine, the plastic guard on there was a temp to get the size and shape right.

blade_guard.JPG
Here is the guard, in MDF, with the return spring shown as well.

Cheers!