A question about rounding(arc) a tables sides

allen levine

The top of the coffee table is 26x44.
I want to leave the ends straight, but want to arc the long sides from 26 at center, to 23 at ends. Tapered in 1.5 inches from end to center.
Basically, I want the sides to arc outwards from end to center.

Following several methods, I was getting discouraged how long a radius Id need to draw it out.

I waited for my son, graduated cum laude double major mathematics and computer science, figured hed have the formula.(once in a blue moon his education comes in handy)
He did, I needed something like a 162+ radius to generate such a small arch of 1.5 inches over 44 inch total.(unless ofcourse he used the wrong formula, not sure myself)
Just way too much for me.
Any other ideas other than just try to free hand one jig and make all four sides the same?

Last edited:
spring a batten on scrap mdf, cut close with a band or jig saw trace on another scrap then reverse and trace again. cut and sand to line and use for a router template.

Take a piece of scrap a litthe over 44", rip a thin piece on your TS. Measure down 2 inched from the side on either end. Anchor the end of the piece to the top bend the piece till the middle reaches the edge. trace your line, wash rinse and repeat.

Attachments

• Arc.jpg
    Arc.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 24

Attachments

• fairing 002.jpg
    fairing 002.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 34
  • fairing 003.jpg
    fairing 003.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 32
  • fairing 004.jpg
    fairing 004.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 35
  • fairing 005.jpg
    fairing 005.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 32
  • fairing 006.jpg
    fairing 006.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 32
  • a_faringsticksm.jpg
    a_faringsticksm.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 37
so tod , don, and glenn, basically a batten, scrap or fairing stick, is just about the same thing, and I have a trim bit with guide, probably much more accurate for me to get close than just cutting close and sanding.(I have enough mdf to make a router template)
Thanx...Ill give it a shot tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
You can even stitch down the fairing stick with hot glue in several places, then hot-glue down some glue blocks here & there to give it more strength for that trimming pass with the router.

the reason i suggested making a pattern and reversing it is because it`s really dificult to find a piece of wood that will spring evenly along it`s length.

the reason i suggested making a pattern and reversing it is because it`s really dificult to find a piece of wood that will spring evenly along it`s length.

Tod is quite correct (no surprise there :thumb:). I use the fairing stick to get a general curve on my template material. I then cut close to the line on the bandsaw and sand to my final shape. After use I drill a hole in the template and hang it on the wall because as soon as I get rid of it, I'll want it again :).

Ok, I get what you were saying now. Only spring one half of the arc, flip that board to mark the other half and you now have a template for the full arc that is equal in appearance, from midpoint to each end.

Thanks for the tip!