New Cigar Pen

Sean Wright

This is the most recent pen I have completed. It is a Hybrid Cigar Pen (Black Titanium with Platinum Finish). The wood is Black Palm. The finish is CA and wax.

It's hard to see in the pictures, but the Black Palm has a very unique grain pattern.

Attachments

• BlkPalm01.jpg
    BlkPalm01.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 46
  • BlkPalm02.jpg
    BlkPalm02.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 44
Very nice, Sean. :thumb: The palm is kind of challenging, but it's worth it when it's finished, huh? I haven't done a pen with it but I did make some black palm screwdriver handles a couple years ago. It's some great-looking wood.

This is the most recent pen I have completed.
It is a Hybrid Cigar Pen (Black Titanium with Platinum Finish).
Good morning Sean; I'm aware of the features of the cigar pen. What exactly makes this a "Hybrid"? Where did the kit come from?

That looks like a pen a collector could be buying. Make certain to price it accordingly. It's one of a kind!

Sean,
That's a great looking pen... I've worked with the black and red palm a few times... it's not had to work with, but with all the silica in the wood, it does take the edge off your tools pretty quick....

I lucked out once and got a piece big enough to do a peppermill.... that was one tedious piece to work with... I think it took me over 30 minutes to just drill the thing out.

I like what you did.

I bought a big block of palm, dunno what kind, cut into pen blanks and tried turning. More work than it was worth. I ended up giving it away. So hard Osage Orange is wet soap by comparison.
You did a great job. :thumb: Cigar is a good choice to show off nice (and nicely turned) wood.
Ditto the question: wat makes it a hi-breed? :huh:

Thank you to everyone for your kind words. :wave:

Good morning Sean; I'm aware of the features of the cigar pen. What exactly makes this a "Hybrid"? Where did the kit come from?

I'm not actually sure why they call it a "Hybrid". I picked the kit up at Woodcraft.

This is what their website says about it:
"Hybrid Cigar Pen
This classic but elegant design features a black titanium and platinum plating that is sure to please. The Hybrid pen utilizes a double twist mechanism for ease of use, and is complimented by the Parker style ball point pen refill."
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/20...-Pen-Black-Titanium-with-Platinum-Finish.aspx

It goes together the same as their Ultra Cigar Pen, but it is much less ornate. Same bushings too.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020400/22246/Ultra-Cigar-Pen-Gold-With-Chrome-Accents.aspx

Wow, that is very cool Sean, never even heard about using Palm wood :thumb:

Stu,

I recently came across a small inexpensive assortment of exotic pen blanks. It included some Black Palm and Red Palm. This is the first thing I have ever done with palm. At some point I will make a pen out of the Red Palm, too. The grain pattern is very similar, expect that it has more red color to it.

I mostly do 7mm pens, but I thought that a cigar pen would showcase the unique grain of the palm better, due to its size.