new bandsaw

Getting back to the bandsaw...

Dan, You've got a week before the saw arrives, so now's the time to order some good blades. The blade that will come with the saw will be junk. Toss it immediately to avoid frustration.

First thing Monday, call the Timberwolf folks and order three blades (the fourth one will be free). Tell the person who answers the phone what saw you've got, and you want to cut, and he/she will recommend the right blades for you.

If you've got a few bucks left after that, also go online and order a Woodslicer® from Highland Hardware. They're a bit pricey, but there's no better resawing blade to be had. I can slice 1/16" veneers in 10" wide cherry with mine, and the cut surface needs very little sanding.

With that assortment of blades, you'll be ready to cut nearly anything!

Getting back to the bandsaw...

Dan, You've got a week before the saw arrives, so now's the time to order some good blades. The blade that will come with the saw will be junk. Toss it immediately to avoid frustration.

First thing Monday, call the Timberwolf folks and order three blades (the fourth one will be free). Tell the person who answers the phone what saw you've got, and you want to cut, and he/she will recommend the right blades for you.

If you've got a few bucks left after that, also go online and order a Woodslicer® from Highland Hardware. They're a bit pricey, but there's no better resawing blade to be had. I can slice 1/16" veneers in 10" wide cherry with mine, and the cut surface needs very little sanding.

With that assortment of blades, you'll be ready to cut nearly anything!

Blades that come with Grizzly are either Timberwolf or Olsen, both very good. I suggest waiting until the saw comes and make sure exact size you need before ordering.

i spoke at length with the timberwolf rep frank, no worries there. they asked for the make, model, and the grizzly suggested lengths before we went on to what i needed. nothing like good, thorough service! :D:thumb:

after comparing the two machines, it reminded me of the way chevrolet used to have 3 variants of the same car in the 1950's. they started out with the basic 150, then the 210 with more goodies (including a back seat), and the fully loaded out one, the bel air. i went with the 210 rather than the bel air. :D:thumb:

no worries steve! for me, it's gonna be like christmas in november. new tools, new blades, new pen kits and pointy ends to try that no mandrel pen turning, and other fun! :D:thumb:

Blades that come with Grizzly are either Timberwolf or Olsen, both very good. I suggest waiting until the saw comes and make sure exact size you need before ordering.

Not in my experience with a Shop Fox bandsaw. The factory blade was pure, unadulterated junk. (I'm not that impressed with the one Olsen blade I bought, either. I've since thrown it away.)

Dan, after using the Timberwolf blades and seeing what you like, I highly recommend Ellis Manufacturing for your future blade replacements. They are as good or better than the Timberwolf blades I've used, and they cost about $8 each instead of the $20 or so Timberwolf blades coat. Tod Evans has recommended these guys for years. It took me a while to get around to trying Ellis out, but man, I'm glad I did. :thumb: