first christmas decoration

Drew Watson

Hi all, Joined the local guild and the demo was a christmas decoration. So had to give it a try and it was fun. I know it is not the best but still it was fun to make. I can see spending more time turning. Oh that slope is getting steeper. :rofl::rofl::rofl: comments and pointers welcome.

Attachments

• 1st Christmas decoration 005.JPG
    1st Christmas decoration 005.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 1st Christmas decoration 006.JPG
    1st Christmas decoration 006.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 36
You kill me. You just got your lathe what seems like a few days ago and look at the fancy hollowed out ornaments! That looks great!

Yea Brent it has only been two weeks with the lathe but the quality is not there by a long shot. I will say the sharp tools have made it fun. I still have to learn to sharpen them a bit better.

Yes Don they are lots of fun. This one was cherry with maple. I want to try some stronger contrasting wood. I am going to get a few more done before Christmas. Practice, practice, practice is the only way to get better. The finnal ( spelling) actually broke on me right at the end. I think that I need some smaller tools to finish off small things like this. The fellow that did the demo at the meeting did small plugs to cover the inside holes. i just made the plugs longer so that they went right through. the wife wants to hang a small crystal inside.

I was concerned about it blowing apart Stu so I held back on pushing it too far. It really didn't turn out as good as I had hoped but it did turn out so that is a bonus. I have had to chase a couple of bowls across the floor of the shop so far. Quite funny actually.

Brent when i do another one I will take and post some pics of it. They really are fun to make.

I think that >> THIS ONE << is the definitive :thumb:

now that I have a table saw that can cut thick blocks like that, and square too, I might just have another shot at these!

That is one way of doing it Stu. The way I was shown didn't glue the blocks together to begin with. Blue painters tape and a hose clamp. then after you turn the inside you just cut one seam and the whole thing folds over. mark the blocks to their orientation and then take them apart. and Glue them up. After that you drill a hole and use a pen turners mandrel to turn the outside. Then make the finnel and the top plug.

Dang Drew, you're sure not wasting any time, are you? :D That came out looking very good, especially for a first time. :thumb:

Dang Drew, you're sure not wasting any time, are you? :D That came out looking very good, especially for a first time. :thumb:

Thanks Vaughn. Yea no time to waste Christmas is just around the corner and i have lots to make. I am not working right now so instead of just sitting around I prefer to spend the time doing something. Turning is great therapy, I am loving it. I just finished gluing the decoration together and putting some tried and true on it as i am still trying to figure out how to finish things that I turn. It looks pretty good with the cherry and maple. Here are the pics. I could have spent more time sanding it i guess. I like the form of the one Stu posted in the tutorial and the christmas tree in the middle. I have to find something to hang from the middle. Maybe a crystal or small christmas bobble.

Attachments

• Decoration 002.JPG
    Decoration 002.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 12
  • Decoration 003.JPG
    Decoration 003.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Decoration 004.JPG
    Decoration 004.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Decoration 005.JPG
    Decoration 005.JPG