Black Walnut

Mark Cothren

Getting ready for a show and decided to try something different to see if it might appeal to someone. My wife likes it, so hopefully someone else will, too. The bowl is about 9" wide and about 3" deep. Comments of all flavors are welcomed.

BlackWalnut01.jpg

BlackWalnut02.jpg

Sheesh! Some people will do anything to get out of sanding. :p

I really like this one, Mark. :thumb: I've thought of doing something similar...now that you've done it I may just have to try it myself. ;)

i too like the rough and the smooth together,, nice combo.. also i have a buch of that scrap ,,i have been using to keep warm with latly:)

Well Larry, here you have another excuse to fall into the spinning vortex, but...:huh::huh: then you might catch colds if you didn't burn it:rofl::rofl:

Sorry for thread hijack Mark, I like the contrast of the surfaces, I think you've got a good seller piece there.

I do things like this though I don't think I've posted any here.

Think I prefer yours to this one

I love these pieces with contrasting texture and Vaughan, the sanding is harder than with an ordinary piece believe me. Sometimes it's hard not to ruin the 'rough texture' and miss it.

Pete

Very nice bowl, Pete! What is the size on that one?

The sanding on mine was limited to the bowl... the rest was "as is", except for the bottom... oh yeah, and I did (barely) sand the bottom, too.

The bowl part is 5" dia, the rest varies betweeen about 6" to 9" in places. One side is really rough and the other has the sawn edge. Thought it was spalted beech but not too sure as the grain is wrong for beech

pete

Have you thought of using a glue chuck? That way you can keep the underside rough ass well when you are doing these things. Also allows you to use wood that is sometimes too brittle or perhaps too thin for a tenon or recess but too nice to burn

Pete

Pete, I've used waste blocks before... but on this piece the bottom was so rough and uneven when I started that I don't know if I could have made that work. Definitely a good suggestion, though, as I happen to have a few slabs that I plan to try and turn into platters sometime soon.

I didn't post yesterday because I'm not thrilled with it.
Looks like something still not finished to me.
Contrasting rough with finished is a neat concept.
But, the obvious saw cuts make it look like a misteak to me.
Oh, well, sorry. :eek: Show us some of yer usual work, I really love most of yer stuff.

Pete, I've used waste blocks before... but on this piece the bottom was so rough and uneven when I started that I don't know if I could have made that work. Definitely a good suggestion, though, as I happen to have a few slabs that I plan to try and turn into platters sometime soon.

Make up some wedges and slot them in around the waste and the wod. I did this one like that and left the underside totally natural

Just glue the wedges to the waste and the underside of the blanl and away you go.

Pete

I didn't post yesterday because I'm not thrilled with it.
Looks like something still not finished to me.
Contrasting rough with finished is a neat concept.
But, the obvious saw cuts make it look like a misteak to me.
Oh, well, sorry. :eek: Show us some of yer usual work, I really love most of yer stuff.

No problem, Frank... I'm not sure how much I like it either...:dunno: my wife and daughter, however, won't quit carryin' on about it. My wife actually asked me to make some more, if you can believe that. The next one(s) won't have such rough surfaces to them, if I can help it.