Finally finished pepper/salt mill set

Keith Palmer

I was commissioned in May by a coworker to turn a set of mills for her to give to her dad for his birthday. Thankfully she decided to wait until he came out here to visit for Thanksgiving to give them to him. The summer became very busy with regular home maintenance work and enjoying the kids, so I was glad for the extra time.

I finished the mills last week with a final wet sand and buffing. These mills are made from laminated Padauk, Western Maple, and Dyed black veneer. I adjusted the layers on the salt cap so that the maple would be on top as a easy identifier. They are finished with 10 coats of catalyzed lacquer. I let the first 5 coats cure for a week before wet sanding and applying the final 5 coats. I then waited a month to let it fully cure before final wet sanding and buffing.

I also finally got a piece of white posterboard to use for a backdrop instead of the velvet cloth that I couldn't get the wrinkles out of.

Opinions and critiques on the mills as well as pics greatly appreciated.

img_6246.jpg

img_6253.jpg

img_6252.jpg

img_6258.jpg

Wow, they are beautiful

If I had asked for you to do those for a gift, I would be out and buy something else for dad, They would never get out of my kitchen. LOL
very good work, and thanks for the finishing info. I have a lot to learn in that area also.