omnijig 16 5116 need help

Glenn Watkins

Just bought this jig, no manual but was able to download one of the web. I've tried to set it up per the manual and havn't been able to make a half blind dovetail, the pins are to small. The manual calls for a for a 42046 guide
(5/8) but the slots are 7/16 so I tried a 7/16 guide. Not being familar with dovetail jigs, It seems logical to me. The template doesn't have a part number
maybe it's custom, it has 26 slots that are 7/16s wide and 3/4s deep. I also used a 1/2 inch, 14 degree dovetail bit. There's something I'm not seeing or understanding. I'm not about to give up, but getting pretty frustrated. Thanks for any help. Just joined and it looks like a great forum.

You'll need to toy with the router's depth to get the pins & tails to the right fit with each other. It may take quite a lot of trial runs before you get it - the tails should penetrate about HALF-WAY through the pin board. You might experiment, too, with a 15-degree bit.

When you get the pins & tails to fit together right, cut yourself a little MDF template so you can register the same depth quickly next time. Keep it with THAT ROUTER BIT because it'll be specific to that one bit in the whole world - the next same-brand & model router bit won't fit quite the same way.

the omnijig came with a 1/2" 1/2-blind template stock but there were quite a few other templates available.
with 7/16 slots it could either be for small 1/2-blinds or fingerjoints?...(it`s been many moons since i`ve used one and my memory is kinda like swiss cheese....full of holes;) )

Glenn,
I was just looking at the manual online, is it possible that you are using the 1/4" half blind template? With that many slots, that's what it appears to be.
In that case you would use the 5/16" guide and a 1/4" dovetail bit. I have the 12" P-C jig and I have 13 slots for my 1/2 half blind template, so I figure that a 16" jig should have somewhere around 17 slots or so for the 1/2" HB.

Todd got the same problem with holes. It looks like some of the pictures I've found, but not good enough to count. Even then is it for the 1/2 blind.

Conrad how deep and wide are your slots?

Tim the pins are half the size of the tails in the tail board. Good advice on the mdf, hadn't thought about that

If the pins are half the size of the tails, then the router bit is too narrow or the template guide has too small a diameter, or the bit's extended too far. Try drawing the bit back about 1/8" and see how the fit changes.

Tim I'll give it a shot in the morning. 7/16 is as wide as I can go, I'm using a 14 degree bit, 1/2 inch. I'll let you know.
Thanks

I don't know if it will make a lot of difference, but the flute on my bit is 1/2 inch and the porter cable is 7/16. we'll se if I can find a bit here, I'm not betting on that with basically with just a Home depot

Well I got some great advice and tips. Today was the first day I could try all the ideas, one or all might work but I can't seem to pull it off. I know there is some simple solution to my problem and I'm going to get it to work, the pins are still to small. I'm going north this weekend and they have a Western Tool in town, so I'm going to look at bits. Maybe I have to buy a Porter Cable bit. The cutting surface on my bit doesn't go high enough to make wider tails. I think I'm to visual and I just can't see it yet.
Thanks for all the help. I'll keep you all up to date on it and post some pictures of the project I'm going to use the jig for amd another clamp rack I put together.

Hi Glenn,
When you get it figured out can you update the thread please? I just bought the same 5116 jig and my pins are tiny. I suspect that my guide bushing is the wrong size (I am using the one the previous owner of the jig gave me with it). I will measure the guide bushing I have on Monday as I left it at the shop I use last night for one of the guys there to play with. The guide bushing I have works fine with the Cen Tech jig from harbor Freight...

Hi Dan sorry about being so slow posting this. I found out that I have the 1/4 inch template. I tried alot of ways to make it do 1/2's just couldn't convince it. I a got 1/2 inch through Porter/Cable, it shows on their website that it's not available but I emailed them(online support) and they had it in stock #699513 replaces #5117. I called their toll free number 888-678-7278 and ordered it, got and no problems. I still need to fine tune it. Everything matches the owners manual which I found at http://media.ptg-online.com/20030509140847_En 888381 - 04-31-79.pdf They were fast on getting it out and good service. Let me know how it goes. I also found a through dovetail template on Amazon