Cedar Sunflower

Mark Cothren

Decided to try something I've never done before - a piece to hang on a wall. A friend said it made him think of a sunflower, so I'm stickin' with it.

Vaughn told me to paint it green and fill in the voids with red glitter... but I decided to seal it up good with dewaxed shellac and then use some antique oil on it (thanks Vaughn :thumb:).

I had several Cedars in my yard that got some type of disease and they all died. This is the base of the stump from one of those trees.

CedarWallHanger01-1.jpg

...Vaughn told me to paint it green and fill in the voids with red glitter...

You gotta admit it would have looked just right for Christmas. :thumb:

I really like the way it came out, Mark. I'll bet when it was spinning that piece of wood sounded like a herd of Sopwith Camels. :D

Yep, couldn't spin this piece too awful fast being out of balance like it was. I think about 600rpm was about all I could do. It definitely made some noise while spinning!

Pete, the piece is extremely light for the size. The piece stands about 2" when laid flat, but it is slightly dished out, which is hard to tell from the pictures. I'm going to guess the average thickness is around 3/4" or so.

Yep, couldn't spin this piece too awful fast being out of balance like it was. I think about 600rpm was about all I could do. It definitely made some noise while spinning!

Pete, the piece is extremely light for the size. The piece stands about 2" when laid flat, but it is slightly dished out, which is hard to tell from the pictures. I'm going to guess the average thickness is around 3/4" or so.

All the more credit due then. I should imagine that it flexed a fair bit at that thickness.

Pete

Frank, the piece is 19" at the widest point and about 2" tall when laying flat.

As for the checking, I just dunno...:dunno:...but I don't expect it to do much. The tree was dead/dry when I cut it and then it has been sitting in my shop for several months with more opportunity to dry out. I put several coats of shellac on it and then put Danish oil on top of that. So whatever moisture might have been left in it should be sealed up pretty good right now.

But I reckon time will tell...