First box

Drew Watson

Well it had to be done and this is it. I have no idea what wood it is as it was one of those chunks that were passed on with the tools. If someone can identify it I would be grateful. I was sitting watching TV and this urge came upon me or it could have been a little voice coming from the shop. :eek: Anyways i ended up turning something. :thumb: I didn't know what else to do with this chunk of wood but try to make a box. I can say i am loving that buffing system, wow is it fast. It really has made making things fun again, this box is really smooth. I did realize that I have to do just a little more sanding before hitting the buffer and I have to figure out how to buff the inside of boxes like this. Oh and about the funny little thing on the top. It was just something to put there to try making one. No idea what prompted it to end up looking like that. Just the wood talking again.

The wife is loving it as she is getting gifts every day. She says that I should have gotten a lathe long ago as she has never seen me so happy.

Attachments

• first box 002.JPG
    first box 002.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 49
  • first box 003.JPG
    first box 003.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 49
  • first box 004.JPG
    first box 004.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 48
I admire anyone who does boxes. I seem to have a creative block with them. I have done a few and none of them are as good as your first. Looks really good and makes the best of the wood

pete

Whoo Hoo!!

That is a beauty, and a nice piece of wood too! :thumb:

My wife was pleased at first too, then as every available space in the house got covered with bowls, boxes, hollow forms......... well the "Pleased" kind of wore off :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Then she was astounded to find out that her friends and family etc REALLY liked to get these bowls, boxed, pens etc as gifts, so that helped the "pleased" thing come back a bit.

Enjoy yourself........ well, I don't think I have to tell you that, you are obviously doing so :thumb: :wave:

[QUOTE=Stuart Ablett;

My wife was pleased at first too, then as every available space in the house got covered with bowls, boxes, hollow forms......... well the "Pleased" kind of wore off :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

i agree really nice box.:thumb:
my wife tells me she don't need any more stuff in the house.Well what i just did was pack up a bunch of stuff and sent them to my mom in Pa. now i can make more stuff and have a place to put them.:rofl:
Steve

I tell people that the only reason I sell my work at the art shows is because we ran out of horizontal space at the house. :p

Yesterday, our woodturning club had demos for new members. Our president was doing a box. And he screwed it up a bit. He made the lid tennon too small. Everytime he tried to correct he cut too much and it stayed loose. He finally got a semblance of a good fit but sacrificed much of the lid. It was kinda funny because he is a very good turner. I'm sure the pressure in front of a crowd of thirty people had something to do with it, especially after the first 'Oops'.
I digress a bit. But, point is, boxes are simple/tricky. You did just fine. :thumb: Boxes are fun.

Yesterday, our woodturning club had demos for new members. Our president was doing a box. And he screwed it up a bit. He made the lid tennon too small. Everytime he tried to correct he cut too much and it stayed loose. He finally got a semblance of a good fit but sacrificed much of the lid. It was kinda funny because he is a very good turner. I'm sure the pressure in front of a crowd of thirty people had something to do with it, especially after the first 'Oops'.
I digress a bit. But, point is, boxes are simple/tricky. You did just fine. :thumb: Boxes are fun.

I've had this problem too... it's too small, I cut some more off and it's still too small :dunno::dunno::dunno::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks guys, The lid isn't tight but it isn't loose either if that makes any sence. I would have liked it just a hair tighter myself. I am not farmiliar with the Dunno wood? Does that come from the isle of Whatsit? :rofl: I think it could be spalted maple, but who knows maybe even apple?

I can already see the "first" shelf I have is getting full and I will have to do something next spring at this pace.:eek: Maybe have a table at our weekend craft fair on Salt Spring Island. ( wife suggested that). She didn't like the point either and said it was too sharp. Is this the end of the party? :dunno::D

I do find I get lost with the time when i am turning. It is just so much fun. I find myself thinking of the next project that i want to turn and have been reading as much as I can to try to refresh my mind as to how to use certain tools and techniques. Of course all my past experience was just with spindle work. It is all coming back to me but it is a slow process and that means more turning to jog the memory.:thumb: