Walnut Lamp

Well decided that after traveling all week that I would do some turning to wind down. Anyway one the way home was thinking of plans to turn a lamp. I had some walnut stock so decided to give it a try. I was extremely pleased at the outcome and already have a few things I will do different. Anyway it is 9 1/2" tall not including the harp. Bottom has felt on it. It has 1 coat of shellac and then 5 coats of lacquer. Sorry for the bad picture but a lady bought it as soon as she saw it. She ordered 4 more and a lady that saw it where my wife worked also ordered 4. I also have a order for 2 from another lady. I am selling them for $42.50.

Attachments

• Walnut Lamp 1.jpg
    Walnut Lamp 1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Walnut Lamp 2.jpg
    Walnut Lamp 2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 72
Nice lamp. Just not too excited about the shape of the base. The shape does not flow down to the base in a smooth transition. Well, that is just my opinion though.

Those look real nice. May have to give that a try one of these days. $42.50 sounds low but it's better than haveing then sit on a shelf.
Dennis

Beautiful lamps. I'm looking around to see what table lamps I could replace and see only floor lamps, darn. I'm sure you could add $20 or more to the price and they would still sell quickly.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the comments.

As far as price goes it is pretty hard to get much more than that. We are a small farming community and things that sell high elsewhere just don't sell here.

I sold a salad bowl set finally for $300 here and my son sold two sets in Richmond, VA for $650 (cherry) and $825 (walnut). He gets $40 for my Christmas ornaments and birdhouses but I sold for 3 yrs here and finally started selling at around $18 to $22. I would rather sell than let them sit on the shelf forever.

Bernie, I just started a lamp, my first.
I haven't located lamp parts in any catalogs yet.
I'm sure I'll find some, probably locally.
Is the long pipe really necessary? e.g. can the top parts be screwed to the decorative wood and just run the wire down?
Must you make the lamp to a specific length to accommodate standardized pipe lengths?
I'm using this particular piece of wood and will have to make the pipe to fit the wood.

frank, a 36 inch piece of lamp pipe is around 5.00 bucks at Lowes.
They sell all the parts, different size harps, etc.....Im not sure how one would attach and secure everything without a threaded pipe and a nut on the bottom end to tighten it all up.(although there are lamp kits with things like stoppers to just push into bottle tops, so no pipe is necessary with these types)
Bernie, how did you drill out the hole? Eventually I will turn another lamp.
Thats a very nice piece, do you add the shade for the customer?

Last edited:
Thanks again. Allen I drilled it with a long 3/8" drill. I actually drilled from both ends to make sure it stayed straight. As for the shades I let the customer get what they want. I asked and they wanted to do there own. The ones I have at the art gallery I put shades on and add to the price.

Thanks again. Allen I drilled it with a long 3/8" drill. I actually drilled from both ends to make sure it stayed straight. As for the shades I let the customer get what they want. I asked and they wanted to do there own. The ones I have at the art gallery I put shades on and add to the price.

you have to see the crap I see at local shows here on Long Island, not the woodworking show, and not the east end, Im here on the western end.
I go to alot of village street fairs where vendors sell arts and crafts items.
The one woodworking booth always sells the lawn spinners, lawn ornaments, and some address engraving while you wait on a piece of pine.
Planters, etc.......
Im not sure why someone doesnt do a booth around here. Most of south nassau is affluent, and small items like a wooden cutting board, pens, candle holders, I feel would sell, since its unique to around here.
I havent noticed one turners booth at all the local shows this past summer and spring.

Great lamp Bernie, I think its just a pity that the hardware for lamp holding available in North America is all clip together. I find that those arms that hold the lamp shade being secured by two slip collars and the lamp fitting itself just cliping together are flimsy items. But it seems its the only type one can get.

We used to have bayonet bulbs like they have in the UK and it had a solid brass holder which screwed together with a brass locking ring far more secure i thought. Probably more costly to make but it did not pop apart which is my experience here with the cheap manufactured brass fittings i find at the borg for screw in lamps.
View attachment brass lamp holder.bmp This is the type i am refering to. By the way the lamp shade would mount on the lamp holder and one of the brass rings would secure it. Then there is no wobble. It threaded on to a base which i could not find a picture of.

Last edited:
The 'kits' I use in the UK are like this; with usual old style UK bayonet or Edison Screw holders dependant on customer requirement.

lkg.jpg

340916_xl.jpg

The 610303 part has coarse thead for in wood and fine thread for holder.

Last edited:
Another great source for lamp parts is Grand Brass. They've got some good quality parts along with the same stuff you can get at the borg stores.

Note: One thing to keep in mind when ordering from them, they used to do a pre-authorization on your charge card, then charge for the amount you ordered as a separate transaction. Always had to wait for 3 or so days before the pre-authorization dropped off, but it tied up that money until it did, which bites when you make $300 orders each time. Though I don't agree with this method, I've never had bad service from them and they may not do it anymore, it's been a while since I last ordered anything.

Last edited: