Something Old Something New

Stuart Ablett

I have this HUGE empty space under the right wing of my SawStop, it has been bothering me for quite some time, this HUGE underutilized space is just WRONG in my Dungeon, I had to do something about it..... ;) :D

I also had my old router table, that is to be RIFed, as it is no longer used and is just in the way. I got a lot of good use out of it, and I'm sorry to see it go, as it served me well, but go it has to.

I thought I'd be real smart (dead give away I was WRONG) and use the old drawers that were in the router table..... :doh:

I proceeded to make a cabinet that fit the drawers, kind of backwards I know, but when you start with existing drawers, well you get the idea.

Here is what I came up with............... eventually......... :eek:

under_saw_cab_1.jpg under_saw_cab_2.jpg

I did not have the height to put a shallow drawer in the top area, like I wanted to, but I did have the width, so I put a vertical drawer in the middle. I will put some pegs in there to hang sawblades and such.

under_saw_cab_3.jpg
Here is a poor pic of the cabinet under the saw, fits just right, and takes care of the HUGE waste of space I had (55cm x 76cm x 54cm deep or 21.6" x 30" x 21" deep).

In the end, I spent more time futzing with the old drawers than if I'd just made new ones :doh: :dunno: I will also say that the old drawers are only OK, I know that I can now make a lot better stuff, I guess my skills have improved, mostly thanks to many helpful people here :wave:

While I was building, I made a rack under the left side of the saw to hold the fence while it is not in use............

under_fence_rack.jpg
...... when I'm ripping down sheet goods with the Festool rail saw I need to remove the fence, and it is kind of in the way, so another problem solved.

A good day for sure.

Cheers!

Looking good Stu. Well the drawers will work for the time being anyways until you design something else ( Which I am sure is in the workings of your brain right now anyways). In your pics is that a mobile base on your saw stop? Is that dust on the saw stop? :eek: Nice idea for the fence storage. :thumb:

Looking good Stu. Well the drawers will work for the time being anyways until you design something else ( Which I am sure is in the workings of your brain right now anyways).
You have really come to know me Drew :rolleyes: :D

Drew Watson said:
In your pics is that a mobile base on your saw stop?

You betcha! when I need to cut long stock, I just give the foot pedal a couple of pumps, and then swing the whole saw and bench etc 90 degrees, then I have the whole length of the shop to use, swing it back, and I have my space back again.

Drew Watson said:
Is that dust on the saw stop? :eek: Nice idea for the fence storage. :thumb:

Yep, because it is being used! The top of the table DC is lacking, like on most Tablesaws :( One day I'll hook up some top of the table DC for it.

Cheers!

Yep, because it is being used! The top of the table DC is lacking, like on most Tablesaws :( One day I'll hook up some top of the table DC for it.

That is I think on all of our lists. I did the whole sealing the Saw up for the DC, but it is not enough. I need to make something for the top mount collection. It is on my list too. Not too much dust but still some.

Wow, all great ideas, I still need to get drawer fronts put on my TS cabinet and to build the drawers for the Drill press cabinet. I do like that fence holder, will have to consider something like that. :thumb:

You are welcome guys, but honestly, none of these ideas are that original, I've just have a large "Cool neat idea, I'll put that one away for use later" file to draw on, mainly from being on boards like this and some from books.

Glad my cabinet can be of use to someone, not I just got to go through the drawers and clean out all the junk :rolleyes: :D