Finally arrived

Drew Watson

Well the Lathe stand finally arrived today and took no time to set up. Gee my back is sore. It weighs a ton. Now i just need one of my kids home to help move the beast into it's new home.

Attachments

• Lathe stand 003.JPG
    Lathe stand 003.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Lathe stand 004.JPG
    Lathe stand 004.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 132
Frank I have already had it spinning as it stands ( couldn't wait) it is one solid machine. I must say that I am impressed.

Tim I am shocked that his GF could have lifted it as it weighs a ton. I had a job lifting it off a spacer block that i was using to install the stand. Really heavy.

I have had a couple of instances when the tools have caught and the computer kicks in and stops the motor instantly. It is great no worries about some mad spinning lathe still running while I race for the off switch.

Anyone looking at getting a lathe I can highly recomend this one it is fantastic.

.........Ain't no stallin' that lathe.

Actually Tim, with the Easy Wood Tools, and a big heavy chunk of wet wood, I can stall my DVR at will :rolleyes:

...........I have had a couple of instances when the tools have caught and the computer kicks in and stops the motor instantly. It is great no worries about some mad spinning lathe still running while I race for the off switch.

Anyone looking at getting a lathe I can highly recommend this one it is fantastic.

Yep, that is one cool feature that I seldom hear people mention, sure to really experience turners, I doubt it kicks in much, but when you are beginning, boy is that a nice feature, even if you do have a BIG catch, it turns it into much, MUCH less of an event.

Drew, I'd say that lathe and stand looks "Skookum" :thumb:

I told you the bed bolts together rock solid! :wave:

Good to see the stand and such finally arrived. :thumb: I still liked the mental picture of you on your knees, turning an egg. :p

The PM 3520 has an anti-catch feature, too. It's called squealing the belt. :D Coring rigs are really good for testing that feature. :rofl:

Congrats on the lathe. You are going to love it. I tried one out and the DVR. I ended up getting the DVR but both are fine lathes.

Bernie, Drew got the DVR. ;) I'll admit though, the pic looked like a 1624 on first glance to me, too.

Yep I didn't look real close. Sorry Drew. Not paying attention. As I said you will love that lathe. I have had mine for about 3 yrs and couldn't be happier. Thanks for the heads up Vaughn.

Tim I am shocked that his GF could have lifted it as it weighs a ton. I had a job lifting it off a spacer block that i was using to install the stand. Really heavy.

She was quite the girl, that one. :)

I carried it up OUT of his basement (in Connecticut) and down INTO his basement (in Vermont)... but I used a hand truck. When she carried it down that first time, she did it by hand... :eek:

She was quite the girl, that one. :)

I carried it up OUT of his basement (in Connecticut) and down INTO his basement (in Vermont)... but I used a hand truck. When she carried it down that first time, she did it by hand... :eek:

Geez, I'd sure not want to get in her bad books! :eek:

I've had the headstock off my DVR and yes, it is one heavy solid chunk :thumb:

Drew,

Congratulations I really like mine. Like you explained the safety catch feature is great for a new wood turner. You learn quick what not to do. They have three settings on that feature soft, normal, and hard. Now you just need to get it buried in shavings.

Alan

Drew,

Congratulations I really like mine. Like you explained the safety catch feature is great for a new wood turner. You learn quick what not to do. They have three settings on that feature soft, normal, and hard. Now you just need to get it buried in shavings.

Alan

Thanks Alan, I was wondering how that feature worked.

Don't worry I have already emptied the DC 3 times since the lathe arrived. Yes it was funny when I had it on the ground and was on my knee's with the shavings. Now with the sharp tools it is just piling up fast. I am loving it.:thumb::thumb::thumb: Hey just thinking now that I turn does that make me like bilingual? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I moved the beast into it's new home last night and leveled it off from head to tail stock. Now I have some extra lighting to add and a heater and tool storage and ...... I have seen people hanging shower curtains around their lathes and I was thinking of maybe building a small booth so that I can give myself more options to attach things to rather than hanging things from the ceiling. That way I can utilize all the space better. Hmmmmm ( just thinking out loud) :rolleyes:

I spent a good part of the day re-organizing the shop to get the Lathe into it's new home. The wife surprised me today with a new light for the lathe. I unfortunately had to return it as it was the wrong kind (no light cover). I have had a chunk fly off already and could see tubes getting broken. The good news is that when I was at the Borg getting the one I needed I saw one of the heaters like the one that LV was carrying but are sold out of till the end of January, actuually the one at the borg has 3 temp settings. They sold me that last one( display model) so good score.:thumb::thumb::thumb: How could you beat a day like that? Ok, My youngest son James presented me with his first term report card Grade 12 with an A and 3 B's in Biology, Chemistry, History & Math. :thumb::thumb::thumb: Where did I go wrong??? :)

Attachments

• New home lathe 003.JPG
    New home lathe 003.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Yea Stu It gets cold here. Not the same kind of cold as the interior or up north. That is a dryer cold that you can dress for. (I use to work in -50 ) Here it is a damp penetrating cold that goes right through everything that you wear. I had an experience one year when I was working the fish packing plant and was required to work for hrs in the walk in freezer, then coming in from a cold environment just knocked me out ( literally). The garage is unheated and with the fire going to heat the house it can be quite over whelming. I am not as young as I use to be ( dispite what my 20 yr old brain tells me) So the heater makes working at the lathe way more comfortable. I actually got the idea from one of our club members that had a similar set up. It is very nice now and I highly recomend it to anyone who works in a cold shop. :thumb::thumb:

Hey Drew, I'm just pulling your leg :D

I'm from Kelowna, and as you say, it is a dry cold ;) heck freezing means it is time to put on a long sleeved shirt is all :wave:

I know what you mean about humid and cold, I lived in Vancouver for 5 years, and even here in Tokyo, it is a LOT more humid than Kelowna, and 5C here is cold!

Besides that, you are turning for enjoyment, and if your fingers are freezing, it no longer is fun.

Looks like a good set up! :thumb:

Question in regards to doing fine beads in spindle work. It has been years and I only remember doing beads with a skew. As I am doing this train it calls for some fine beads. Is there a special tool that is made to make these or is it still the skew to use?

Last edited: