Fireplace/Entertainment Center

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I finally have my tools at the new place and got to start on my first project. Neither of our old entertainment centers were small enough to fit the alcove where the TV is, so we decided to build a new one. My wife was also missing our fireplace, so we are going to incorporate an electric one in the entertainment center.

My father-in-law had a surplus of particle board, so I'm using it to build the enclosure and will trim it out in white oak with an oak plywood top. Nothing fancy for the enclosure, simple butt joints held with glue and screws.

The design changed some, we've decided to center the fireplace as the computer tower will go on one side and Wii and Xbox on the other, all other components will be above the fireplace.

Attachments

• Fireplace4sm.jpg
    Fireplace4sm.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG00247.jpg
    IMG00247.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG00248.jpg
    IMG00248.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 144
Alright, the new shop is in operation. :thumb:

I gotta say, the drawing of the fire in the fireplace is some of the best Sketchup work I've ever seen. The resemblance is uncanny. I could nearly feel the heat. :D

here i thought that you only hit keys and made puters work better,, yu really do woodworking as well:) looks like you might just be settling in after all darren:D:thumb:

I gotta say, the drawing of the fire in the fireplace is some of the best Sketchup work I've ever seen. The resemblance is uncanny. I could nearly feel the heat. :D

:rofl: Funny you mention it. My wife kept asking in every drawing what is that big box, I had to do something to make her understand.

here i thought that you only hit keys and made puters work better,, yu really do woodworking as well:) looks like you might just be settling in after all darren:D:thumb:

I try, most of my work isn't worth posting. :rolleyes: I also got all the stained glass stuff out of storage. I'm considering some on the lower side doors for this project. It's all been in storage for the past 3 years, so I may be a little rusty.

Keep in mind, this is suppose to be a 'disposable' piece since we'll only be here for a year or so. If I make it too nice I won't be able to get rid of it. I have to store the other two entertainment centers since I built them and my wife won't part with them.

Darren it looks real good. I know you want it "disposable" but is that a curve i see on the bottom. If so how about a small curve through the whole front at each layer? Yup a little more work but that gentle curve makes it really appealing.:)

Darren it looks real good. I know you want it "disposable" but is that a curve i see on the bottom. If so how about a small curve through the whole front at each layer? Yup a little more work but that gentle curve makes it really appealing.:)

Thanks Rob. There is actually a curve in the top lip as well, it hard to see in that perspective. I'm building it to somewhat match the tables did a few years ago. The edges of the tops have a slight curve and rounded corners to them. My wife calls them her contemporary Arts & Craft tables.

Got some shop time in today after returning from Turkey dinner. Was able to get the rest of the shelving cut, shelving pin holes drilled, and the front ledge cut out, shaped, and glued on the top.

Today I had a revelation about my bandsaw. I've had it for about 14 years and I was still using the original blade. :eek: I had bought two new blades about 4 years ago, but have never installed them. It's amazing how much difference and how much more controllable a new blade is.

Attachments

• IMG00251.jpg
    IMG00251.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG00249.jpg
    IMG00249.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 19
Got the sanding done and some stain on. The side walls aren't very square, so I plan to seal the base, install it, then scribe/cut the top to fit the opening. The fascia will be cut and assemble once the base in in place also.

Attachments

• IMG00274.jpg
    IMG00274.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG00273.jpg
    IMG00273.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 26
...Today I had a revelation about my bandsaw. I've had it for about 14 years and I was still using the original blade. :eek: I had bought two new blades about 4 years ago, but have never installed them. It's amazing how much difference and how much more controllable a new blade is.

Wow...who'da thunk a sharp cutting tool would work better? :rofl: It is an amazing difference, huh?

Good to see your build progressing along. :thumb:

Not done yet, still need to build the fascia and front ledge. Will be doing that with the cabinet in place for a better fit. My son stopped over to help me get the base in place today. My wife is enjoying the fireplace tonight though.

Attachments

• IMG_3723sm.jpg
    IMG_3723sm.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3726sm.jpg
    IMG_3726sm.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 29
Got some fascia and the ledge installed today. Still need a base board and doors. Audrey is liking the new fireplace. 4 more days til my xmas deadline...wish me luck.

Attachments

• IMG_3752.JPG
    IMG_3752.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
It was a bit cold in the shop last night, but I got some time in to cut the base for the fireplace and attach some supports on the back. Just need to find some hinges and build the doors now. Speakers will eventually be mounted on the walls near the corners of the room for surround sound.

Attachments

• IMG_3923.JPG
    IMG_3923.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3924.JPG
    IMG_3924.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 21