**New Computer Worm Spreading**

Ian Gillis

Hi Gang

Please be on the lookout for an email message with the subject:

"230 dead as storm batters Europe."

The email installs a program that will allow others to use your computer in a botnet. Don't worry about the details - it's just bad news.

Text of the full Reuters article:

Storm Worm hits computers around the world

2 hours, 21 minutes ago

Computer virus writers attacked thousands of computers on Friday using an unusually topical email citing raging European storms, a security company said.
The virus, which the company named "Storm Worm," was emailed to hundreds of thousands of addresses globally with the subject line "230 dead as storm batters Europe."
An attached file contained so-called malware that can infiltrate computer systems.
"What makes this exceptional is the timely nature of the attack," Mikko Hypponen, head of research at Finnish data security firm F-Secure, told Reuters.
. Hypponen said thousands of computers, most in private use, had been affected.
He said most users would not notice the malware, or trojan, which creates a back door to the computer that can be exploited later to steal data or to use the computer to post spam.

I just bought the new AVG. Free one expired:( ;)

Hopefully it will cover it. But I don't open attachments that are not familiar anyway.

Steve...curious here: Have found the AVG free version (use on the wife's winbox)...does not expire !? The full blown version though, does only give a 30 day trial period. Was it definately the free version you were using?

Steve...curious here: Have found the AVG free version (use on the wife's winbox)...does not expire !? The full blown version though, does only give a 30 day trial period. Was it definately the free version you were using?

There is a free alternative to AVG. It's Avast Home Edition from Alwil software, another Czech developer. They'll give you 14 mos of updates with free registration. I've been using it for at least 3 yrs now and it's kept me bug free.
I use it along with Spybot Search&Destroy and Ad-Aware SE Personal edition.
The last 2 are also free - no nags or pop-ups either.

Yes. The free download.
Deadline [experation] was Jan 15th, extended to Feb 18th

So AVG does not give you a message stating it will expire when you do a restart?

Steve...will have to check later and see about any message! Had used it for a couple years and never had that problem (with very good results). But I just recently installed a new download of the program, into the new PC I got for my wife...so, could be they've changed the 'free' version? I did hear, somewhere ...that may be forthcoming. :( Even so...would be worth paying for that one.

Yes. The free download.
Deadline [experation] was Jan 15th, extended to Feb 18th

So AVG does not give you a message stating it will expire when you do a restart?
AVG still has a free version available to replace the version you now have. You likely have the free version 7.1. The new free version is 7.5. I did the update a couple weeks ago, and although you'll be offered a chance to buy the full paid-for version, you can also download and install the free version 7.5.

Yes. I had the 7.1 version.

I downloaded the 7.5 free one three times, which I was lead to believe I had to buy it. Corrupt files, wouldn't load.:(
Ever try to download 35MB on dialup?:( :( :(

But then I said what the hay, I've been using the freebie for two years, I'll just buy one. $30.00 isn't too bad.
So after purchase, it downloaded fine:huh:

Yes. I had the 7.1 version.

I downloaded the 7.5 free one three times, which I was lead to believe I had to buy it. Corrupt files, wouldn't load.:(
Ever try to download 35MB on dialup?:( :( :(

But then I said what the hay, I've been using the freebie for two years, I'll just buy one. $30.00 isn't too bad.
So after purchase, it downloaded fine:huh:

Funny how that works.