Lacquer life

Bill McQueen

I have some lacquer in a gallon can. It was pretty clear but when I open it up (month later or maybe much longer) it's amber colored. When I put the lid back on a gallon can I turn it upside down to let it kind of seal itself so it does seem it got air in it.

Question does it sound like it's life is over. I poured a little thinner in it hoping to add some val ital solids to it. You think it's still usable, but will give off this amber color. or give to the wife for hair spray?

Thanks Bill

is it straight lacquer or precat? maybe its a reaction tot he lining that is chaged color and not the lacquer it self. pour out a dab and see if its clear out of the can?

No flakes straight out of a Gal can.

I did pour some out in a clear bottle and it's definitely a amber color.

I used to shoot gal's of this stuff on cars and didn't have any shelf life, we got it and shot it.

I had some other from the same can in a clear bottle and it looked like a good urine sample just slightly yellow off colored clear. Don't flame me on the urine sample just a bad joke. :rofl:

The inside of the can didn't look all that great, (had some lumps sticking out from the sides of the can, ) I'm thinking it's getting old but I'm interested of how long I can push it without repercussions.

I just shot some on a wood vase and it appears (so far, to be clear). It had like little suspended bubbles in it when I poured in the clear bottle.

I guess when it dyes (if it does) I 'll see if it cracks or orange peels or whatever.

Thanks Bill

Last edited:
it sure sounds like it got air and aged bill. i know that in some of the laquers it does have a shelf life even the uncatalzed ones.. the precat are as dave said good for 6 months and they are threw.

I assume you are talking about solvent based nitrocellulose lacquer.

The precat stuff 6 months, maybe 1 year if the dealer didn't have it on the shelf for a year before you bought it.

But the plain stuff... I haven't seen any reach end of life. I still have the NC lacquer that was left when I switched to water based acrylic lacquer several years ago, and wouldn't hesitate to use it. The color is naturally pretty yellow, even when new. Air bubbles are from the way you handled it, not from age. You can thin it indefinitely... if it turned solid, it would still work if you re-dissolved it in lacquer thinner.