For you woodworking hobbyists in case you forget how expensive...

allen levine

I picked up my first piece of lumber in August 2006.
Thats a bit over 3 years in this hobby.

Ive spent approx 9000-10000 on power tool purchases, most of them only on sale prices.
Ive spent approx 1500 on handtools.
Ive spent approx 4000 on hardwoods, alot I still have left.
Ive spent approx 7000 on assorted lumbers as PT, cedars, redwood, pine, etc.
I cant even begin to count the amount of drill bits, router bits, blades, and other essentials needed to run my machines.
I started from scratch, so Ive spent an enormous amount of money on hardware.
Ive made approx 2000 dollars in sales, not that I ever looked for sales, most of that from Adirondack chairs.

Throw in paints, thinners, and chemicals, brushes and pads for all that, another pretty penny.(I bought a can of mineral spirits yesterday, 12.59 from lowes. I think I went through 20 or 30 cans of mineral spirits alone, not to mention expensive outdoor urethanes)I dont let a coffee can or tee shirt go into the recycle bins anymore, I use anything and everything I can. I take apart anything Im going to throw out, and save the screws, washers, nuts, parts, tubing, metal, anything I might one day have a use for. I even take other peoples garbage and strip parts, especially drawer slides and pulls.

I havent even gotten into much lathe work, I could only imagine the costs Im going to have.

Im currently waiting on sales for the Jessum sliding table for my TS, and soon will purchase a mortiser.

This is an expensive hobby.

The sad part about it all , is that compared to most seasoned woodworkers, I basically dont own 1/10th of what most own in router bits and specialized tools.

While its not a sailboat, its still quite expensive.

(Id like to add I did sell my 99 dollar ryobi tablesaw for about what I paid for it)

Last edited:
Hear, hear, Allen!

Then, if ya tip over the edge and add metalheading... then it's a "starter" mill/drill before you graduate to a knee mill, then two metal lathes, collets & toolholders galore, rotary tables & fat vises & carbide inserts & micrometers & calipers & parallels & 1-2-3 blocks...

GADS. If I'd bought nothin' but cheeseburgers instead, I'd be feeling a little bloated right about now. :)

OK Allen, its time to make your money back, 1st get a quote for redoing your kitchen (you know your wife wants a new one:rolleyes::p), then do it yourself, you will be many thousands ahead of the game then:D AND YES YOU CAN DO IT:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Here's another way of looking at it.

After 25 years of woodworking, just about every good hand tool I've bought and kept has appreciated in value. And more than my 401K.

Power tools come and go, always at a loss.

People who know me offer me wood at little or no cost.

I've furnished most of my home.

Satisfaction? Priceless.

I'm afraid to think about what I've spent :eek:
12 or 15 years ago I thought my Shopsmith that cost $4500 would be everything i need. It now sits unused except for the jointer. I've replaced all the tools that it does plus many more. I am most certainly a "tool freak"
Its worth every penny though. Woodworking is my Prozac :rofl:

My brother bought a speedboat, had it for a few years, sold it. Later he took up marksmanship, and bought a pistol and joined a gun club, had it for a few years, sold it.

I know of other folks who have bought themselves fancy motorcycles.

I know of other folks who go on a cruise almost every year.

I know of many people who have bought a cottage up north and spent many weekends driving back and forth and so on.

I don't think my hobby is really all that expensive. :thumb:

...While its not a sailboat, its still quite expensive...

I tell everyone that I've spent less than the neighbor did on his bass boat, and I use my shop WAY more than he uses his bass boat. ;)

But Allen if it wasn't for woodworking you'd just spend all your money on wild women and booze..:D:rofl:

What makes you think woodworkers don't still spend money on wild women and booze? :p :rofl:

Yu FOOLS

hey if its not to late DONT let your betterhalfs read this post that allen has started,, i can say that there is alot of truth in these posts but i havnt confessed yet as the mother tressa is looking over my shoulder as i speak and i want santa claus to come back this way this year:) so please be forewarned:rofl: ho ho

Ok here is another view. I have a friend who spends at least $3000 per year on green fees for golf. Then add the 19th hole and a little bet on each game and some new clubs and shoes etc and its easy $4500 per season. My shop and my tools dont need replacing. Yeah i have consumables but in winter i can still play in my shop. He gets very frustrated and if he wants to has to pay for the indoor driving range (did not add that cost). I figure he is going to play golf for many more years, i reckon i will come out way ahead of him. And whats more i have something to show for it.

But i guess each to his own. :)

Also you cant take the money to the grave so you might as well enjoy it while it lasts. I saw what other friends of mine did to their inheritence that their father killed himself working to leave them. He died at an early age and in 12 years the kids had destroyed millions. :(

Besides i have adopted Stus make it yourself approach and its even more satisfying.:thumb:

Shop time is sanity time for me.:D

Also you cant take the money to the grave so you might as well enjoy it while it lasts.

There's a joke about that....

Seems old Harvey worked hard and made his millions... he told his wife that when he died he was taking his money with him and she was to put it in his casket.

At his funeral, a dutiful wife walked up and placed a box in the casket along side old Harvey. As she sat back down, her best friend leaned over and asked,
"you didn't really put all that money in the casket, did you?"

The dutiful wife smiled and said...."Yes I did, I wrote him a check."

:rofl::rofl: