Another weekend is here.. whatcha got planned

Don Baer

Staff member
It's supposed to continue raining through tomorrow. I'll be in the shop as usual. Gotta get this current project done so LOML will have here desk when the new house is finished, then She's got a whole list of stuff she wants for the house. Got a coupla clients that want prices on some custom pieces, one want a duplicate of a dresser I made a while back and the other wants a price on a custom built-in bookcase entertainment center. Normal Sunday morning church and maybe get a chance to take in some of the playoff games. So what yall got planned for the weekend.

Well for me my weekend begins on Friday thanks to a four day work week, but I have not done to much. It is snowing here and while I got some time on my hands for shop stuff, the truth is my mind is really on snowmobiling. With enough snow on the ground now to ride, I am more than ready.

It was a crappy year for snow last winter, and this year has not been great, so this weekend its time to forget about woodworking and get ready to ride. I know this is not woodworking related, but I have not been trail riding on my sled since March 1st of last year so I am pretty cranked up about it.

Unfrozen_Fast_Stream-464x345.jpg

I need to fill the 100# propane bottle so I can run some heat in my garage/shop. I haven't had a lot of shop time the last several weeks and need to ged rid of some work-related stress. I think I hear some pen blanks calling my name... :)

Have a good weekend, all.

Cheers,

Kevin

Other than finally getting a chance to get my hair cut, I may spend some time cleaning up my mess in the shop. I've got pieces of cut insulation piled here, piled there. If it clears off, might try to get a few sheets of OSB and start on the lower half of the walls. Will do the lower half, then do the ceiling, then cut and try to use the slotwall material I salvaged from the previous owner, then finish the upper half of the walls. It's supposed to rain Sat, but partly cloudy Sunday. 'Course that will change 3 times by tomorrow morning! Stay warm and dry! Jim.

I plan to do a bit more plumbing of my new DC...got the lower pan installed in my TS last night, so now it's time to run a couple lines and make a few hook-ups. I'll be making a lumber run to pick up materials for four or five new cutting boards (and a chess board) that have been ordered. I'll also probably do a bit more shop organizing and de-kludging.

Of course, that will all happen after I unpack the two boxes that arrived at the office today. My hollowing rig has arrived. Woot!

I've been restoring a Rockwell Homecraft 4" jointer. I have it all apart and I've had it dunked in the caustic tank at the local auto machine shop. I sandblasted the exposed castings and today I warmed up the garage and masked it and sprayed the primer. This weekend I'll shoot the topcoat in auto enamel. I'll also cut out some new gibs for it tomorrow. Hopefully another week and I'll be using it.

cheers

Board of Directors meeting at church for 4 hours on Saturday, two church services a bible study and a pot luck on Sunday. With a little luck I can squeeze a few hours out of that to be in the shop.

Tied up with LOML most of Saturday, but hoping to get finished with the CV install Sunday or Monday. I'm screwing together the pipe and take-offs and sealing with aluminum tape. Still have to install two blast gates, a floor sweep, and make up a collector for the lathe, then hook up the circuit to the service main. I have a 50 amp breaker that is not being used since we changed out the electric cook top for a gas one. Keep your fingers crossed.

I went out & hooked up my RAS last night.

Not fancy but it works just a 4" hole through the shroud box behind the RAS head & friction fit the PVC with a gate into the hole. I made a couple of cuts before hand & wow what a lot of ricochet chips out of the shroud box but with the 4" opening which is only about 8'-10' from the DC it removes all but a little fine dust.

I do have some no no's in my DC system but with the "smallness & tightness " of my shop getting from the DC to the tool makes it not very easy to make the trip the most ideal way with all the proper sweeps & no elbows or T's so my shop still has some dust & I use a mask & vacuum. I have a total of about 25' of duct in 2 branches.

P1010036.jpg

had a nice later evening last night, took my stepson, who is the goalie in the shot above to his indoor lacross game. He says I'm his team's good luck charm, when I'm there, they seem to do better.
He's 13, and about to move up to the JV squad from the middle school 'modified' team.

Then I had to get my truck repaired (see how Not to brush snow off your truck)

and then the LOML and I spent some time together this afternoon, before she went downtown to be on call. Most weekends, this is her 'other' vehicle.
Rescue2.jpg

Bridgeport's busiest unit is this one. rescue 2, their medical unit. Lori is an EMT, and I'm so proud of the service she does for the community.

oh,
and me? I'm working on dimensions and cut lists for my kitchen cabinet renovation, since Lori is at the firehouse tonight. :D

Yesterday (Sat.) went to my woodturning club meeting. Had a demo on cutting threads with a lathe. Fairly elaborate set-up, but clever. Process of cross-cutting and insetting the part to be threaded seemed more complex than worthwhile to me. Doubt if it would bump up the price of the finished item for the extra couple hours work required. I'll stick with press fits.
Today, church (in a few min.), visit some friends for coffee with wife, clean shop as a friend is coming over tomorrow to do some work in there with me, finish turning an artist's pencil for inventory replacement. Later, vegatate.