New Shop

Wow Sal, what a great space. This is an exciting time in your shop development for sure. Stu is right on with the ceiling color. We don't have basements out here so "over the rafters" is almost a cultural level storage method. Many a time I have tried to figure out what to do with all that stuff so I could panel and paint my ceiling.

Ya done good to do your floor treatment at this early stage. Scheduling and weather when I moved into my house forced me to skip this step and I have always been sorry.

Rob K. is also on target IMHO about local light. Even with all my fixtures, I still do things like this:

Attachments

• Task lights 001.jpg
    Task lights 001.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Task lights 002.jpg
    Task lights 002.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Task lights 003.jpg
    Task lights 003.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 79
opinion on OSB

I will put up two walls to close in the area for the new shop. This being done to reduce the spread of dust that now covers everything else in the basement. I was considering using OSB for the walls. Mostly because I have not worked with sheetrock and hence beleive that putting up the OSB will be easiest. Wanted to see if anyone thinks this is not a good idea.

As always, thanks in advance

Sal

Looks really good, but have you thought about a ceiling? Sure, you lose a bit of space for storing stuff, maybe, but painted white it would be a LOT brighter, and there would be a LOT fewer places for stacks of dust to hang out:dunno:

Just a thought :D :wave:

First i second what Stu said cause that was my first thought after seeing the new pics.

And Glenn it must be this age thing with the lights :rofl::rofl: I love my local light at the BS and Drill press and Grinder and and and ...:D

Sal i think you might also want to think about a few more receptacles around the side and even provision to run a few in the partition wall you want put up. Of course this is all dependent on shop budget but if can you will find you never have enough.

I used sheetrock in my shop and there is many a day i wish i had not. For some unkown crazy phobia I was worried about painting it. But after seeing Jonathans shop build and him painting it and getting a real nice result I was even more sorry i did not use OSB for the same reasons Don mentions.

I like the paint job on the floor is that special epoxy ?

Looking forward to seeing it full of tools.:thumb: Bet Santa is off loading a few in your house this year.:D

Looking good Sal. :thumb: I completely emptied out my shop a couple years ago to rearrange for a new lathe. I did the same as you and took advantage of the opportunity to remove the carpet (I had a carpeted garage that became a shop) and epoxy paint the floors. I'm glad I did.

All, thanks for the advice. It has been very helpful minimizing mistakes.

Looks really good, but have you thought about a ceiling? Sure, you lose a bit of space for storing stuff, maybe, but painted white it would be a LOT brighter, and there would be a LOT fewer places for stacks of dust to hang out

Stuart, agree with the cieling. I will look into it after I get the basic walls setup. You're definitely right about the dust. I got up on a ladder to seal all of the ducts to avoid drawing in dust and found that it is accumulating real well on the joists.

Sal i think you might also want to think about a few more receptacles around the side and even provision to run a few in the partition wall you want put up. Of course this is all dependent on shop budget but if can you will find you never have enough.

I used sheetrock in my shop and there is many a day i wish i had not. For some unkown crazy phobia I was worried about painting it. But after seeing Jonathans shop build and him painting it and getting a real nice result I was even more sorry i did not use OSB for the same reasons Don mentions.

I like the paint job on the floor is that special epoxy ?

Looking forward to seeing it full of tools. Bet Santa is off loading a few in your house this year.

Rob, you are right and actually I have 4 outlets installed at the partition wall. Will get them placed once the wall is up. Nothing special on the floor other than 3 coats of a masonry paint. Not sure how long it will hold up; but thought it might as well start out looking better than it did originally. As for Santa, my kids got me to use wish lists. Your bet will hopefully be right.

First bank of lights that come on with the switch at the door 12 100 w bulbs.
5 500w halogens switched separately. Work light on each lathe, scroll saw and the grinder. Second switch other half of the shop has 4 100 w bulbs and the bandsaw has a 500 w halogen. Still need work light on the CNC lathe and more lighting in that room.
total shop is 25 x 38 Walls and ceiling are white.

another vote for osb on the walls and a painted ceiling, and chcks idea of light switchun is one you want to look at as well.. in my shop i can have one 8ftr on or with the next switch i can have 4 on.. but if you can get any natural light in there threw a basement style windo i would reccomend it.. also it might be benificial to have it for gettin long lumber in the shop.. i know of one shop where all the lumber comes in threw a window usually..

I will put up two walls to close in the area for the new shop. This being done to reduce the spread of dust that now covers everything else in the basement. I was considering using OSB for the walls. Mostly because I have not worked with sheetrock and hence beleive that putting up the OSB will be easiest. Wanted to see if anyone thinks this is not a good idea.

As always, thanks in advance

Sal

I have both drywall and OSB in my shop. The original is drywall, the new part I finished this fall is OSB. To do it again, I would do the whole think in OSB.

The key to getting water based paint to cover is to use a covering primer, not your standard primer. I used Zinnser 123 covering primer. If you use the regular primer, the print on the sheets keep bleeding through the paint and regardless of how many coats you put on, you can still see the print. Also, put the smooth side towards the room.

If you use oil base paint, covering is not a problem. Smell is an issue, but only while it cures. If you use oil base, you wont have the small pieces of OSB lift. Water based paint causes pieces that are not bonded as well to lift or "bubble".

shop pics

finally got around to taking some pictures. Walls have gone up and most equipment ordered. Still need to install a cieling and dust extractor. So far it is simple but working out fine. Thanks for the help.

Sal

Attachments

• shop1 copy.jpg
    shop1 copy.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 99
  • shop2 copy.jpg
    shop2 copy.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 95
  • shop3 copy.jpg
    shop3 copy.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 93
Sal - things are looking good.

That door looks like it belongs in Stu's Dungeon . . .

Are your ceiling joists regular 2 x ?? material or are they the I joists?

I've heard of people cutting osb the right width to lay in on top of the bottom chord of the I. It fills the voids somewhat.

It might be possible to just spray the bays with white paint to brighten things up - go with no ceiling. This was recommended to us in reverse when we were getting quotes to finish our basement. The said to spay the bays in flat black and the ceiling details will just dissapear.

Keep the pictures on your progress coming.

Cheers

Jim

Looking real great Sal. Whats that sexy looking work top next to the drill press in the corner of the second picture. Nice curves in the sides.

Jim thats a great idea on cutting OSB to lie on the I joists.:thumb:

I also support Stu's point of doing something with the ceiling. It will add to the lighting if you combine Jims idea and the painting of the OSB panels.

Dont forget dust collection.:)

appreciate all the advice

Thanks to all for the advice. It is very helpful since all this is new to me

Rob, the work surface next to the drill press is my version of a home made router table. Looking at the prices for these tables they really add up once you start making choices. Felt for now a simplly made table would be sufficient. All I have is an oak rail on a pivot with a clamp to lock it in place. So far it has worked out.

Jim, the idea of using OSB on the ledge inside the I joist is very good. It eliminates the need to figure out how to get drywall up there by myself. I can then paint it to give some better light reflection. Thanks and I will look at that next.

Best
Sal