Train Ornaments

I made these 5 spare Ornaments for just in case , just in case you need an extra present around the house and I'm sure there are people that know what I mean :huh: . Made of 1/4" Walnut and the pattern came from Rick and Karen Longabaugh's Holiday Scrollsaw Ornaments Collection of Heirloom Quality Designs of over 500 Ornaments on CD . Hope you like them......Marshall :type:

Attachments

• ORNAMENT - 20094 (Small).JPG
    ORNAMENT - 20094 (Small).JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 56
  • ORNAMENT - 20095 (Small).JPG
    ORNAMENT - 20095 (Small).JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 37
Marshal i think i am going to have to ask Santa for a scroll saw. After seeing all your great ornaments its been too tempting but it seems like another vortex.

Could you fill me in. Is it as simple as a machine and some blades or is it like the spinny thing where you spend as much on the accessories or even more than you did on the machine.:dunno::huh::):thumb:

Rob, I can answer your question, as I do some scrolling too. A GOOD scroll saw will set you back under $1,000 - in fact, the most-expensive I've seen is the 30" Excaliber for $999.99. I have the DeWalt 20" saw, available right now with the stand and a work light for about $625.00 (the inches measurement is the throat depth). The saw and some good blades (I use Artisans, but others swear by other brands) are all you need. You'll want wood and perhaps some pattern books, but scrolling isn't nearly as expensive to get into as turning.

Turning is a bottomless pit--at least with a scroll saw you don't have to keep buying turning tools and mandrells and chucks and stuff. Just the saw.

Happy scrolling.

Marshal i think i am going to have to ask Santa for a scroll saw. After seeing all your great ornaments its been too tempting but it seems like another vortex.

Could you fill me in. Is it as simple as a machine and some blades or is it like the spinny thing where you spend as much on the accessories or even more than you did on the machine.:dunno::huh::):thumb:

Rob the best deal going on to buy a great scrollsaw is at Grizzly's right now until Christmas , this is the one I have now :thumb:. { Grizzly has the Dewalt 20" Model 788 with the stand and light for $450 } just go to Grizzly.com . I first started out on a Craftsman 16" Variable speed scroll saw and I wore out the jaws first after 8 years of use, and it was a real good saw too :thumb: . So I can tell anyone if they are not sure if it's their thing , then try a cheaper set-up first { I've been scrolling for over now 13 years }. I also use Flying Dutchman blades , and I've used just about every blades out there on the market , hope this sheds some light on your question .Marshall .:wave:

Neat.
Do you ever take a break from the scroll saw? ;)

Frank : This has been my most productive years ever , I am happy with all that has turned out so far . I guess using two of the four weeks of vacation has helped make a lot of things for sure , thanks for all the warm comments ........Marshall :type: