Hookless Velcro

Chuck Rodekohr

In Memorium
I have a 2” foam sanding pad that chucks into an electric drill for power sanding. I found out the hard way that the sanding disks work better than the Velcro hooks. I’ve worn off all the hooks and it won’t hold a sanding disk. Has anyone glued on a new hook pad, and if so, how did you do it, what glue did you use?

I've worn out a sanding pad or two myself. I haven't glued new Velcro on my 2" pads (I just ended up replacing them), but I've used a glue called Goop to put a new one on my 5" ROS. I think Goop is about the same as Shoe Goo. I've also used hot melt glue to repair 2" sanding pads where the layers of foam started to separate. Dunno how it would hold up under the Velcro, though. It might get too warm.

I replaced the pad on my ROS, and then the velcro started coming off, I reglued it with contact cement and haven't had any further problems. But I have had good luck with the shoe goop that Vaughn mentioned on similar problems.

+1 on contact cement. Remains flexible and grabs pretty good . . . and pretty sudden-like too so be ready before you touch the parts together ;-)

I buy a velcro kit at wally mart.. wide size which has both hook and loop in a long tape roll. I use only the hook part - both have an adhesive on the product. seems like it is at least a yard long and I cut the amount needed -- the adhesive is strong stuff. I have been know to just cover the worn hook with new hook material on top of the old.. I think the roll of velcro is in the sewing or craft area. Real inexpensive and I can get many replacement section out of one roll.

Yep I sand at a too fast RPMs and melt the plastic hooks right off --

I've replaced pads with new hook and loop from Home depot. Heat is not your friend when sanding, but higher RPMs make sanding go quicker...that I like! :D