Well, While We're Stealing From Mark Cothren...

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Since Barry posted his Mark Cothren-inspired walnut bowl, I figured I should come clean, too. Jeff Bower got me thinking in this direction, and Mark's recent chunky bowls pushed me over the edge. So I'm admitting to blatantly stealing their ideas and running with it. :D

This one is red eucalyptus with some neat curl. I'm guessing it's about 12" x 7" or so. (It's set up in a display 30 miles from here, and although I wrote down the dimensions, I can't find my notes.) The ends are rough cut (chainsaw and bandsaw). I shaped the bottom a bit to put it on a foot and raise the edges off the table, but I intentionally left the bottom rough. The finish is buffed Formby's Tung Oil Finish with more of Don Pencil's PL compound. (No buffing on the rough parts.) LOML likes this one a lot.

Bowl 077 - 02 800.jpg Bowl 077 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 077 - 04 800.jpg Bowl 077 - 05 800.jpg Bowl 077 - 03 800.jpg

So...thanks for the inspiration Mark and Jeff. I did another one in jacaranda (it's not as nice as this one but I'll show it sooner or later), and will likely continue to run with the idea when the right blanks present themselves.

Comments and critiques and finger pointing and giggling are all encouraged. :p

BTW Jeff...now I've done a thick bowl, it's time for you to do a thin one. :rofl:

OK. I like it. A Lot. But how did you hold it on the lathe? Rough bottom? Vacuum ruled out. Recess? Glue block? Filled screw holes? :huh: :huh:

OK. I like it. A Lot. But how did you hold it on the lathe? Rough bottom? Vacuum ruled out. Recess? Glue block? Filled screw holes? :huh: :huh:
I drilled a recess on the bottom with a 2 1/8" Forstner bit to start, then after I finished turning and sanding the top, I used the vacuum chuck to reverse it. Then I enlarged and embellished the recess a bit to remove the chuck marks, and whittled away at the wings (the rough-turned part) while leaving a raised ring around the recess to act as the foot.

I did another similar piece that was too small to get a seal with my vacuum chuck, so I reversed it friction style and used the tailstock to hold it in place while I finished the bottom, leaving just a small nub to sand off at the end.

Can I add mine... it's not as pretty as Vaughn's or Pete's.. this is a chuck of white oak or Champion Oak... not sure which.. came from my friend's tree "Isabella"...

Attachments

• 10-834.JPG
    10-834.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 10-834-5.JPG
    10-834-5.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 10-834-6.JPG
    10-834-6.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 18
Turn yourself some scrap wood to a rough bowl shape that the piece can be dropped into. Glue chuck (hot glue) the piece into the bowl using wedges around it to secure it. Make sure it is in the right place so that it stands properly on the bark side. Use a hairdryer to warm up the glue when removing after finishing. You only need to turn the face or bowl side obviously. It won't work so well with wood that has loose bark. You people ue different woods so would knowbetter than me what would be suitable. This one is laburnum

Pete

I like it a lot Vaughn! The roughness of the bottom is great too! :thumb:. Glad I could help push/shove you into getting chunky. :p:rolleyes:

Pete, I've gotta try that...looks cool and challenging too.

Looks Great Vaughn! Was it dry when you turned it? I'm finding that at the arts and craft shows I work that anything that has a natural edge or other rustic features seems to sell better, maybe I'll try some of those.

You all have pushed (inspired) me into trying it tomorrow on some Eastern Red Cedar.

tomorrow is just 27 minutes away but I will some sleep first..

thanks..