Taking a breaki

Been doing all the things that people want (hopefully) to buy and so decided to play.

Sycamore turned wet. Ebonised foot and burnt rim. Approx 8" tall, 6 1/2" max dia. and turned to 4mm thick.

Comments etc welcome

Pete

I don't believe it, I posted on another forum and it sold in ten minutes though I was just showing it as on here. Arty stuff just doesn't sell that way here in the UK. Not that I'm complaining mind:thumb::thumb:

Pete

Very, Very nice piece. I tend to like shapes like that. I turn things I like and that pleases my senses. I find when you do that your pieces naturally become more appealing. The sale just proves that point. Congratulations and beautiful work.

Alan

Very cool piece. Where did you find the wood? I never seem to be able to come up with that type of stuff.

It started out as a very thin, bog standard natural edged vase but there were some cracks so I removed the offending wood and burnt the edge all the way around with a pyro tool. The markings are some kind of spalting that you get. Do you get sycamore in the States? it's a member of the male family and is usually very plain and almost white. Often used for food safe things. Grows as a weed over here

Pete

Do you get sycamore in the States? it's a member of the male family and is usually very plain and almost white. Often used for food safe things. Grows as a weed over here

Pete

Sycamores get quite large over here(or at least in Texas)... my paternal grandmother had one in her front yard that was near 30" diameter about 4 feet up from the base... it was so large the root system buckled the sidewalk that ran under it... we had about 6" of concrete broken at protruding up ... with the little seed balls and bark constantly peeling off, it was one messy tree.

Do you get sycamore in the States?

I have a California Sycamore (Platanus racemos) leaning at about a 45º angle right across the street from me. I’m just waiting until it comes down and the city comes out to cut it up. Hope to get some free wood. Also hope The Boy’s truck isn’t parked next to it when it topples.

...Do you get sycamore in the States? it's a member of the male family and is usually very plain and almost white. Often used for food safe things. Grows as a weed over here

Pete

Sycamore is almost a weed tree here, too, but I'm pretty sure it's a different tree than what you call sycamore. Isn't yours a close kin to the maple (Genus acer)? Ours is something, but I can't recall what.