What Would You Buy for $20?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Over in another thread talking about a $10 discount on a $20 purchase at Woodcraft, new guy Joseph asked this question...

I'm new to woodworking. Assuming I have $10 ($20 post-discount), what do I buy?

I thought about it for awhile, but didn't have a definitive answer. I figured it'd be a good spark to start an interesting conversation. What do you consider essential in the shop -- that can be had for $20 or less?

Here are a few thoughts to get the ball rolling. I'm going to say the suggestions don't necessarily have to involve purchasing from Woodcraft.

For $20 or less...

• A good tape measure or rule
  • A decent square
  • A couple pipe clamps
  • A case of pop (barley or otherwise) to bribe a woodworker into giving a little hands-on mentoring
Let's hear your ideas. :thumb:

[Pushes the podium out to the middle of the room]

Well, with a pair of vice grips, a multi-tip screwdriver, a roll of duct tape and some bailing wire, I can fix just about anything :D

....but that is not really wood working is it?

I think that the most useful tool in the shop is often knowledge and that comes with experience for the most part, but I do find good books of great value.

In know it would depend on what kind of woodworking you do, but for $20, you should be able to pick up a good book, used books would offer an even better deal, or, the Fine Woodworking online subscription is something to look into.....

You can choose to join on a monthly basis for only $4.99 per month and cancel at any time, or join for a one-year membership and save. A one-year membership to Finewoodworking.com is $34.95 for non-subscribers and only $14.95 for Fine Woodworking subscribers who have a paid, active subscription to the magazine.

Otherwise, it would really depend on what tools you have now, and what you want to do for work. :wave:

Although I assume this is prompted by the Woodcraft offer; a couple right to left tapes so you can use the tape and lay a mark "normally" (no slight to left-handers intended).

A.
10' Tape R to L, 16ths
06K15.01
view_Off.gif
acc_Off.gif
instr_Off.gif
$4.80

I bought these to go with them:

SS Cabinetmaker's Rule,
set of 4 (24",18",12",6")
06K20.50
view_Off.gif
acc_Off.gif
tech_Off.gif
instr_Off.gif
$24.90 (a little high for this thread)

All reliably match and are used almost exclusively. Never knew how useful a saddle square was till I had one.

Veritas® Saddle Square
05N56.01
acc_Off.gif
tech_Off.gif
instr_Off.gif
$14.50

I'm not trying to push LV, they just happen to have a lot of nice stuff in that range.

At Woodcraft (as always, depending on what you do):

#142012 Little Wizard Metal Detector Sale: $9.99
#147068 Forstner 7 Piece Bit Set Sale: $12.49
#145481 4-in-1 Hand Rasp Sale: $5.99
#144740 Kreg Mini Jig Kit Price: $21.99

Last edited:
hmmm $20
EZ Squeeze dust collection hose clamps $5.99 ea for the double model, going to need 2, so 12.00 there, add to that either the 4 in 1 hand rasp or the carver's rasp $5.99 ea leaving $2. so just to kick it over the top of $20 a pair of Fastcap magnifying Bifocal safety glasses of the appropriate diopter. (Laugh all you want you young folks who don't know from short arm disease yet) $6.99

so $25 or so, just a bit over the $20 mark, but not a bad haul for $20.

I also saw a rosewood 4" engineers square for $19.99

there are two router accessories for about $25, there are numerous similar priced items, bringing an item just outside of the coupon down to a reasonable amount of money (Not that it was unreasonable, but a discount helps... Period. )

Are those el-cheapo forstner bits worth buying? From metalworking, I've learned there are two kinds of bits: Those you chuck after one use, and those you don't.

Incidentally, is this clamp durable enough I could mount it (if temporarily) on my drill press?
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020166/20831/Reversible-Vise-4.aspx

ok on the forstner bits, i have a set of CMT brand that are normally the same price as these were. and i wouldnt doubt that these were the same ones just differnt package.. and for 13 dollars i would buy them easily.. as for the clamp on the drill press i cant help you i have a small 4" machinest vise that just collects dust.. i clamp the stuff to thew table with normal clamps and that works for me.

Hi,

I have a machinest vice that I have used once or twice in the last 25 years. I have clamps that I use all of the time on the drillpress. Some of these are commercial (Rockler---Sorry, no number, not in my latest catalog), HF, Machinest clamps inhereted from father, clamps I have made for special tasks, and others I cannot think of right now).

Even if you use the vice, you are going to have to clamp it down to the DP table...why not just use clamps to start with?

That's my 2 cents worth (and you know what a penny is worth today, right).

Enjoy,

Jim

I've bought several items recently on Rockler's Deal-of-the-Day that I never would have bought at full price. I got the Jig-It, ClampMate and, most recently, the Angle Cube.

Are those el-cheapo forstner bits worth buying? From metalworking, I've learned there are two kinds of bits: Those you chuck after one use, and those you don't.

Incidentally, is this clamp durable enough I could mount it (if temporarily) on my drill press?
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020166/20831/Reversible-Vise-4.aspx

I'm sure this depends. I am still running a cheap-o set I got at Woodcraft 5 years ago with only 2 needing a touch up. Obviously these have gone wayyyy beyond what I expected for the money. I have some other cheap ones that are only good for a few holes. I use the cheap-o sets to determine which Freud Forstners to get. So far about 8 "real" bits are in my arsenal with the rest being cheap-o's waiting to prove themselves worthy of replacement.

Drill bits ($30 minus $10, free shipping). They may not be the best, but I find a way to break a lot of them...especially the small ones. A new sharp cheap bit is a better fit for me than an old quality bit that's broken, dull, or lost. Same reason I won't buy expensive sun glasses! :doh:

148082.jpg

Last edited: