• flat work 100%

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • lathe work 100%

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • 50% flat & 50% lathe

Votes: 9 12.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm guessing you know how I voted :rolleyes:, but I do want to get more into the flat side of things in the coming year...

Larry, I want one bad. Funds and common sense are whats holding me up.

Everybody has to have, or wants, something made. And it almost always has this round looking stuff on it.

My feeling so far is that spinny is a hobby. I probably wouldn't even have the new lathe if my wife hadn't talked me into the NE class and came with me on a trip to the Rockler store and saw the pen making stuff and thought it was really cool. After all how many bowls and pens can you have. :rofl:
Spinny will be a hobby and flat work is a passion. My kids have requested so many pieces that I'll be busy for a long time.
There is nothing I like more than making a bunch of parts and seeing them come together into something that will outlast me and bring a smile to their faces.

Define flat.

Anything that isn't round/turned on a lathe?

If that's the case, 99% of my time in the shop is spent not on the lathe. Heck, I spend more time with a broom in my hand then turning.

I would like to change that though. I priced out a CNC lathe a while back, and I still get a little light headed when the thought of paying for it comes to the surface.

I voted for flat work, although mixed with carving.:D

I have the feeling that flatworkers are some sort of long distance runners while turners are sprinters.

Somehow I get more pleasure (and pain) from the making than from the achievement.
Once the challenge is over I have to take finishing the pieces as another challenge or I wouldn't finish any.

Larry,

I'll have to ask for an additional catagory, if you would:

50% lathe - 50% flat (but then I'd also have to ask for 50% working on old machines too) :rofl:

Whatever. It's all just a hobby. :thumb:

Aloha, Tony

Larry, I want one bad. Funds and common sense are whats holding me up.

Everybody has to have, or wants, something made. And it almost always has this round looking stuff on it.

Steve it's uncommon sense that your looking for.

Look around you to see how many things in nature are naturally round. Its man that is the common denominator when it comes to square things.
Some men just think they are more manly:huh: when they build square things rather than going with the natural round flow of nature.:eek::):D:rofl::rofl::rofl::thumb::wave: