• flat work 100%

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • lathe work 100%

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • 50% flat & 50% lathe

Votes: 9 12.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I dont find making spindles or legs or knobs spin work.
It is all on lathe, but I believe its part of flatwork if you want a spindle or knob that isnt square.
Ive looked at thousands of cabinets, and thousands of people buy round knobs, or build things like cribs etc, and buy spindles already made.
I dont find the need to make bowls as a hobby, Ive tried, but I wouldnt spend alot of my shop time doing it, so I guess Im a flatworker.(I do love making pens, so maybe IM a closet spinner)

After all how many bowls and pens can you have. :rofl:
QUOTE]

How much money do you have Bob and we can figure it out for you. We have all had practice answering this one. How long is it until your next paycheck, retirement check or social security check? How much is each? A few specific answers and any one of us can answer the question.:eek::D

Didn't really know how to answer this as I do flat work as a nessesity and partially a living but the turning is new and I find it a welcome break from all the years of only doing flat work. Building things to fill a certain space or building something for the wife or garden is great but those projects are limiting due to space. Turning is great in the way I can go out and play around in the shop for an hr and produce something that can always find a home somewhere in the house. Sometimes a fire place. You have to try this Larry It is good for the mind and body and very therapeutic. Come on larry you know that you want to try it. Quite fighting it:rofl::rofl::rofl:

i thought i felt someone pushing me from behind:) drew we wont go into this discussion other than to say that i have felt the draw and resisted and now go to meetings to continue my resistance:):rofl:

By far, my projects have been flat work. I've had a lathe for many years but have only recently started practicing on it again. I don't expect things to change much but I would like to take some turning classes. ;)

I didn't vote, haven't had my lathe on yet, hopefully this weekend. I rediscovered wood working through my lathe. Up to that point, most of my work would have been called, "rough carpentery". Introduction to the lathe helped further my education into tools and finish carpentary. Goodness knows I had enough rough stuff to finish! Anyway, needed another option Larry, 50-50.

The last year most of my work has been lathe work for enjoyment. My flat work for the last several years has all been case work and trim for old houses that I own with basically no time to complete a piece of furniture. But with the lathe it gives me the time to be creative. However now it has become all consuming. :D

Alan

Does flat work include curved work? Doesn't curved work meet the spinny work criteria? Who came up with these TWO categories....it had to be some type of engineer! You should have asked an Architect to define these categories....we are much more flexible in defining terms and rules as they pertain to us!

Does flat work include curved work? Doesn't curved work meet the spinny work criteria? Who came up with these TWO categories....it had to be some type of engineer! You should have asked an Architect to define these categories....we are much more flexible in defining terms and rules as they pertain to us!

No only an architect could come up with such an inane question. You sound like an architect..:rolleyes: