Lathe options

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
OK, I have heard from the Nova users and a few non-users.

It is only fair to ask what lathes you might suggest in lieu of the Nova DVR XP.
I have limited shop space (10'x10'), so a relatively small footprint. I can add mass. Power supply is not an issue. I want variable speed, and reversible at the minimum. The ability to add bed length is good. A swing away tail stock is something my back would love! I liked the outboard turning ability but it is not a deal breaker. Cost is at the very bottom of my list but I do not have inexhaustible funds! I want what I what for teh best price I can get.

Don't we all? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

So, other than the Nova, what would you suggest?

Hi Carol, Yea I know I will not mention the Nova. Here in Victoria lots of the guys in the turners Guild have Stubbies and one fellow just upgraded from the Nova to a stubbi. Oneway is another great lathe and one that I had looked at getting as well as it is Canadian made with a baldor motor. I have never heard anyone complain about a Oneway yet. There was talk about a new lathe coming out of Europe I think it was called a Triton ( no not the router) . It had great reviews acording to the guys in the Guild. I have looked for it on line but I might haver gotten the name wrong. Maybe someone else here knows about it.

Carol, what sort of swing are you looking for? 10"? 12"? 14"? 16"? 24"? Measured American-style, that is - diameter instead of radius as the English do.

Got a preference for bed length? Limits as to machine weight?

Tim - no real preference on swing. If it supports outboard turning then thats a mute issue. Bed length, short, but adjustable with extensions.

That said, most wood available to me in Arizona is not real big. And my interest lies mostly in boxes and minis - at the moment! Probably flavored by having the Jet mini. :rofl:

When I bought my lathe it came down to either the DVR XP or the Powermatic 3520B. I went with the Powermatic for several reasons. It has more mass and bigger swing, and I like having the tool rest supported by the lowered extension bed for doing outboard turning (after sliding the headstock to the tail end of the bed). I'd used a cantilevered "outboard" tool rest on my old Craftsman, and although I'm sure the Nova version is much more stable, I still like the idea of having substantial support directly below the tool rest.

With the extension, I have 53" of bed in the upper position, or a handy side table in the lower position (if I'm not using it for the tool rest), or I can remove it completely if I want a smaller footprint. Swing-away tailstock attachments are available for the 3520B...I think Robust even makes one for it.

The motor is a fairly standard issue (and thus replaceable if necessary) and the controller is also pretty much off-the-shelf technology, which should help prevent future obsolescence.

So far, I've had no regrets for purchasing mine.

That all said, I suspect you'll be very happy with any of the lathes in that class. Powermatic, Oneway, Nova, Stubby, Vicmark, and all the others in that neighborhood are all fine machines. I wouldn't kick any of 'em out of my shop.

For your use, since you're not talking about a need for anything huge but you have more than a Harbor Freight budget, I think the Nova 1624-44 is a pretty darn good option:

http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathes/1624/Nova _1624.htm

I like the amount of iron they put into the Nova lathes, and the fit's good & the machining's nice, and they run really well.

VicMarc makes nice lathes, too, but they seem to be a little hard to buy on this side of the Big Blue Wobbly. At one time I was all primed to buy a VicMarc, but got distracted by a Harbor Freight instead. :)

Carol, my dad got a Jet 1642 about 4 months ago and it is a GREAT machine. It doesn't quite have the swing of the mustard, but then the price is less as well. Lots of places have sales on them from time to time. My dad got his for right at $1800 and is quite a happy guy. The tailstock, while stout, isn't that bad to take on and off either.

I'm with Jeff

I have had a Jet 1642 for many years and love it. Lot of bang for the buck and pretty small foot print. I think it is one of the best values out there for full size lathes. I have not had a single problem with mine yet. I've done everything from tiny birdhouse ornament perches to a 12" x 36" solid white oak ship winch on it. Electronic VS and sliding headstock is really all you need.

Carol when I got my Nova DVR I turned on one and also turned on the Jet 1642. I really liked them both. What it came down to was a smaller footprint and yet had the swing away bed extension if needed. Right now it works slick for me because I can slide the tailstock onto the extension and then swing both out of the road if needed. I would have been happy with the 1642 because the headstock slides to the end of the bed which made it a moot point for turning larger items. I would have been very happy with it also but again footprint is what I needed.

Carol, I had a Nova 3000 and now turn on a Stubby. I also have a Jet Mini which I have turned everything from pens and ornament icicles to boxes, bowls and 9" diameter segmented urns over 12" tall.

I have turned on a PM3520B, Jet 1642, Nova DVR and quite a few other lathes. The PM and Jet machines are excellent and would probably serve you very well. The DVR is also a very fine machine and I have heard of few problems with it.

The Nova 1624-44 is essentially a Nova 3000 and is a very fine machine as Tim. Belt changing on it is just a matter of getting use to. I think there is more vibration on the 1624-44 than on the DVR if that is an important issue. The outboard function on both is not all that it is cracked up to be and should not be considered as a substitute for a larger lathe if you wish to turn larger diameter (>16") work. With either of the Nova lathes you need more weight to make them more stable and less prone to vibration. I had over 600 pounds in my stand for my Nova 3000.

One other machine that might be worth considering is the new Delta Midi which I have heard some good things about. I have not turned on it but it seems that those that have say good things.

You do know that you get what you pay for and I believe there are varying degrees of quality out there. The Winter AAW Journal has a great article comparing many of the lathes on the market.

I been turnin on the Nova 1624 for about two yrs now an love it,no problems.The only time I get a lot of viberation is if I have an out of balanced piece 14 or 15" dia,but once it gets bal,I crank it up an watch the chips fly.I did turn an 18" on the outboard ONCE an if you saw the rig I had setup for my tool rest,you would know why I only did it once:doh: Anyway the reason I didn't go for the bigger lathes is that I just do it for fun an couldn't justify the extra cost,got mine for less than 900.00 on sale.