Planer Sled In Use

glenn bradley

Planer Sleds come up now and again. I had a cause to use mine today so thought I'd post. I got some construction lumber that had been left out in the weather. Its ugly, but free. The boards were too thick to go through on the sled so I had to take about 1/8" off before I could start:

1-Planer Sled prep board.jpg

Here's the planer sled down off the lumber rack (where he sleeps till needed):

2-Planer Sled Ready.jpg

Here's a close up of the adjusting wedges. The screw is just finger tightened to make sure nothing is released into the wild whilst passing through the planer:

3-Planer Sled Adjust.jpg

I rub chalk on the surface to check progress:

4-Planer Sled chalk.jpg

Got it all in one run (this almost never happens):

5-Planer Sled chalk gone.jpg

Put the sled away, flip the board and plane the other side to make the faces parallel, a few swipes on the jointer and I have some free lumber that can be milled into various boards for prototypes or other odd jobs:

6-Planer Sled quick jointing.jpg

Pardon the "ugly wall" in the background. that's the one I'm going to repair, paint, cleat and organize any day now . . . . .

Last edited:
Definitely a handy jig to have. I have a feeling I might be making a shorter one someday. my current one is 8' long, and a little unwieldy...

Any free or reclaimed wood that can be put to a good use, even if some of it has to be lost in the process is a good thing to do.

Thanks for the post Glenn, now you've got some raw material to make next year's Christmas presents;)

BTW that is a darn well made sled.:thumb:

I wanted to confirm the utility of this jig for those of us that are jointer challenged. Here are before and after pics of a maple board.

Sawmillspaltedmaple.jpg

Milledspaltedmaple.jpg

Pardon the "ugly wall" in the background. that's the one I'm going to repair, paint, cleat and organize any day now . . . . .

Glenn thanks for the great post. I enjoy everything you post its so helpful and motivating to me.:thumb: But i had to have a good :rofl::rofl: when i saw you say "UGLY WALL" and "Organize" at the end ofyour post. I was just looking at the wall and thinking "Gee Glenn is so organized i really got to get round to doing something like that with my stuff" Then i see this post at the end and :eek: :( I think thank goodness Glenn aint coming to visit.:rofl::rofl:YET. What would he think of my mess if that wall aint organized in his words.:thumb::D:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I wanted to confirm the utility of this jig for those of us that are jointer challenged. Here are before and after pics of a maple board.

Sawmillspaltedmaple.jpg

Milledspaltedmaple.jpg

William i am sorry but your post lost it for me when i saw the wood.:D:thumb: I could not take my eyes off the wood to read your comment. Great application but unreal wood. Where did you get that piece? What you using it for? You holding out on us with some beauty of a project?:)

William i am sorry but your post lost it for me when i saw the wood.:D:thumb: I could not take my eyes off the wood to read your comment. Great application but unreal wood. Where did you get that piece? What you using it for? You holding out on us with some beauty of a project?:)

Rob,

The spalted maple was obtained from a local sawyer at $1.00bf. I just happened to be there when he was unloading his kiln and got a "few" feet.

That board was used in this piece. It was ordered by an individual to contain knitting paraphernalia. The stand is walnut.

BoxonStandfrontside.jpg

My current project is a modified Shaker wall clock. The back lower panel is bookmatched spalted maple.

clockcasemockup.jpg

Last edited: