pin nailer question

Dan Noren

Staff member
my sis in law picked up a dresser from what looks like the late 1930's to late 1940's. the molded trim around the mirror looks like it was put on with pin nails. my question is, how early would either an air, or pneumatic driven pin nailer been available, not to the public, but for the mass manufacture or furniture? the holes in the trim are too small for a nail and set, and the heads are not visible. i'm figuring pin nailer since there are quite a few, and setting them by hand would be too time consuming for mass production.

Dan said, in part: ".....the holes in the trim are too small for a nail and set, and the heads are not visible....."

Don't agree this would be convincing evidence. Finishing nails can be set below the surface of the wood and (depending on the wood) then the wood could close over the top.

They may of been beauity nails.They were a nail with no head, very small and you would just put them in and snap off what ever you didn't need. We used them to install trim on cab doors alot. This was back in the 80's. My boss at that time owned a hard ware store a long with a lumber yard and the construction co. He was set in his ways and didn't like us using nail guns even though he started selling them.