bandsaw or scroll saw

Al killian

It time for tax returns and the misses said that she will allow me a bucks to get a new tool. The problem is I only have about $250 to spend. So etheir I get the HF BS or look for a scrollsaw. The main thing it will get used for at this time will be to cut out patternsfrom 3/4 ply or 4/4 stock. Resawing is not a concern at this point. If the scrollsaw wins out any ideas on a deent starter model? What would you do if you where stuck in this postion?

al, for 250 bucks i`d look for used......there`s not much in the new market worth having for that money.....tod

Tods right about looking at the used market for a good band saw. For $250 you won't find much in a band saw. The little 10" Rikon may do the trick or even the craftsman 10" but I thing for that much you can do better on the used market. Maybe you will get lucky and get both. I have an old Craftsman/King Sealy scroll saw that I picked up for $50. King Sealy Scroll Saw.jpg It'll handle 24" pieces up to 2" thick. I use it for making templates that way I can leave a bigger bland on my scroll saw. If you could find something like that then you'd still have money left over for a decent used band saw.

I agree with Tod and Don, go used if possible.

Check craigslist in your area. I see band saws all the time for < $150.

Finding a used scroll saw shouldn't be to hard. Just don't rush. I was at Redmond Machine in Atlanta earlier this week. He had 30 or more sitting in a covey in the back of the warehouse. He told us take our pick for $50 dollars. Several brands and styles to choice from too.

Prices will vary from place to place but unless it was something mighty special I wouldn't pay more than $75 for a used one. And it would have to be pristine!

Shame your not closer. I may be getting an older Delta Bandsaw in a few weeks. I am looking at two. My plan is to clean up, tune up and resale them/it.

Thanks guys I will keep my eye open for some used tools. There is a place near buy that get used ww machines in, so monday im going to check them out.

Ian, thats how he always sleeps. We never have normal pets.

Hey, can you guys keep the noise down......sheesh!

Good luck on your search, Al. Deals are out there. Here's my $175 Delta 12" bandsaw I got on craigslist. Just like new.

Another vote to suggest checking craigslist or other local used sources for something decent in that price range.

Oh, and I think you guys need to let sleeping dogs lie. :D

Sleeping Dog 1 800.jpg Sleeping Dog 2 800.jpg

To answer your question, I would have to go with the Bandsaw before I went and purchased a scrollsaw. I have both in my shop, but my Bandsaw is used twenty times as much as my scrollsaw. Of course it depends on what you do with it. I make wooden models which means small parts, but the bandsaw is just so much faster and the blades last a very, very long time.

As for the price, I might go with a used machine. Just be careful of those inexpensive 3 wheel machines. If you can get them to track right, well you are a better woodworker than I am.

If you are interested in a large capacity bandsaw for about 250 bucks, you might want to give Gilliom Manufacturing a call. They make a 19 inch bandsaw that is kit built. They provide the machined parts and plans and you build the carcass out of 3/4 plywood. I have one of these saws and the extra capacity and horsepower is really nice. Its kind of a neat idea on how to get a resonably priced, but large capacity machine.