sawmill adventure

My FIL and I have been gathering logs for the past few weeks in order to have them milled. I've been wanting to have some of my own lumber milled for awhile. We ended up getting about 1500 board feet of oak both red and white. We also got some really nice white pine. It was right at 14 inches wide and completely clear. We got some really nice QS white oak too.

I was able to get a couple of pics using the cell phone. Sorry for the poor quality, but I was busy and I forgot the dang camera. I'll try and get a few when we stack the wood.

I'm the one in the orange hat. Dang it was cold!

Attachments

• oak log.jpg
    oak log.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 122
  • oak log1.jpg
    oak log1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 129
thats a nice log you have there,, its fun sawun logs huh??? but it has a fair amount of work to it as well..but you know that today or you will when yu wake up:)

Cold? Man that guy wasn't slabbing them off fast enough for you then! Have worked around mills as a kid and the past few years, sliding off slabs, stacking, moving, stickering, stacking, generally was sweating!!! Congrats on the wood! Now get it stickered and stacked and covered!! :eek:

thats a nice log you have there,, its fun sawun logs huh??? but it has a fair amount of work to it as well..but you know that today or you will when yu wake up:)

Larry the log was a white oak. I think it was around 24 inches on the small end. It was fun and your right I used muscles I haven't used in a long time.:)

Cold? Man that guy wasn't slabbing them off fast enough for you then!

Your correct Jonathan it was cold when we started, but when the fun began the layers started coming off!

It was hard work, but I'd love to have a mill of my own. I could cut lumber better than I can find around here!

john, i can assure you that its gonna take alot of lumber to pay for a good mill, but if you can find work for it then you can pay one off sooner.. john bartley can fill you in on this bettr than me but the one i use is around 35k and thats alot of hours at a base rate of 50 dollars an hour to pay for it.. and this present economy has hurt that work too.. i have had afair amount cut and i am now where close to be able to warrant buying a mill.. but i still have the desire to:) you just cant describe the pleasure of sawing a board and seeing whats in the next one...