Steampunk/Gaslamp Entertainment

Ned Bulken

attachment.php
Awhile back there was a thread about Steampunk'd computers. I happened upon this online comic this weekend. It is very well done, a rollicking romp through a parallel universe. The artists are Phil and Kaja Foglio, and their artwork is magnificent! 7 years of thrice-weekly comics can be found here. (link points to the first page of the comics. They start out in black and white, but switch over to color a couple of 'months' later.) These were all published as Comics and then Graphic Novels, but they've generously offered them as online serials as well.

The 'FAQ' page for the serial says:
Girl Genius is an ongoing adventure story in which the characters grow, change, run around the landscape quite a bit, and occasionally even die. Because of this, we recommend that new readers start the Girl Genius story from the very beginning. Trust us, it makes more sense that way. The good news is that the entire archive is now available for online reading!

You can also use the more traditional (but much less free) method of reading the graphic novels, which are available from bookstores, comic shops, a growing number of public libraries and of course our own online shop. Graphic novel collections are published roughly once a year.

Oh, and please be aware that we recommend Girl Genius for an audience of teens and up. Why? Well, let's see...we have lots of running around in Victorian underwear, occasional innuendo, a certain amount of violence and the occasional "darn!" Will this deprive us of future happy meal toys? Probably. Are we having fun making our story our own way? Oh, yes! A lot of our readers still say they read GG to their kids, (and, of course, our kids like it,) but now you can make an informed choice. Thank you!
Fair warning, it will take you a couple of hours to read all the way through the series, but if you're into gaslamp stuff, you'll enjoy it. If you're also into well done comic art, you'll enjoy it.

It can be quite silly at times, but there's a place for that in all of our lives occasionally.

Attachments

• girlgenius_15.jpg
    girlgenius_15.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 119
A Couple Hours!?!?! :eek: Geez Louise, Ned, I'm up to Volume 6 and I think it's taken me more than a Couple hours of spare time.

But you're right, it's really quite a lot of fun.

I'm currently in the process of making some brass goggles for sale at sci-fi conventions. I'm not really into the whole steampunk thing (victorian, schmicktorian - art deco/machine age is where it's at!) but it's hard to argue with the appeal of getting paid to make things. :)