Dang Truck got Stuck in my Own Driveway

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
And HE CAN STAY THERE ALL NIGHT FOR ALL I CARE! :bang:

Just don't feel like getting out the chains and messin around in the snow.

Maybe tomorrow...

Brent - No pics - didn't happen!

In 2000 I managed to get a box truck from my wife's business stuck in my back yard in 1/2 inch of snow. I grounded the step bumper going up a little hill. They winched it out easily with their flat bed tow truck - but I took a little ribbing from the guys at the store for a little while.

Cheers

Jim

Snow was at least 5 inches, and the driveway is pretty long... I'll take pics tomorrow, but dang, it's embarassing!

...I'll take pics tomorrow, but dang, it's embarassing!

That made me laugh. I hadn't thought about the embarrassment factor. :p I used to enjoy "snow days" in Albuquerque. I'd go driving around in my Jeep looking for people to get unstuck. They always felt bad and apologized for the inconvenience. I'd have to explain to them that I enjoyed the chance to play with my Jeep.

The last vehicle I got stuck was a 1990 Bronco, when it was about 3 or 4 months old. I got it buried to both axles in river bottom clay on a project in Gallup, NM. Fortunately there was a D-8 Cat nearby that was able to yank it out pretty easily.

The tires on the truck are more all weather than all terrain, so basically, the treads fill up with snow and it's like rubbing ice on ice to get moving.

I gave it a good try and got partway up the driveway, but kept sliding to the side kind. Basically I just gave up. Doesn't look like I have much hope for the snow to melt over the next couple of days, so I'll just have to get the chains out and play in the snow tomorrow!

I've got an old pathfinder that I'm been contemplating getting some serious off road rims and tires on it and painting it desert camo. That just moved up on the priority list...

Thats not good news Brent. Hey I thought we were the great white North you got that much snow already????

We aint got more than a dusting up here and its gone before we can take a picture. :rofl:

But its warming up for a mother load i can see it.:D

Hope you get it out in the morning with no problems. :thumb:
Best of luck

all season tires are for city folk brent you should know better:) they dont clean out well.. and the side of the road should have been better traction than the shined up main drive..also add some weight to the rear for better bite..sand works well and can used to get out once you get it stuck on ice:):thumb: also when looking to get your paint job think about a winch as well.. that will pull you out easier

I had a cabin at 4000 ft. About 10 winters ago, we had 3 feet of snow in 24 hours and lost power for three days. We had pellet stoves so I went to the store to find a battery backup to run the stoves (got about 42 inside). I slid off into the road side and got stuck about 100 yards down the hill. Tow truck operator #1 pulled me up to the roadway (after asking me WHERE ARE YOUR CHAINS? – I had a 94 Bronco 4 X 4 with mud and snow tires and didn’t think I needed them, but I did) so I could put on chains. Tow truck #1 couldn’t get up the hill and called Tow truck # 2. He also got stuck. Tow truck #3 stayed on the highway and winched the two other out, as I drove away with my chains. I hollered at the tow driver WHERE YOUR CHAINS? as I drove around them and home.

Just don't feel like getting out the chains and messin around in the snow.

Here in western Washington, a lot of people switch to their studded tires during the winter. All wheel drive and four studded tires and you can overcome most snowy/icy driveways. We always have one of our cars set up like this and it becomes our "snow" car.

If we go over any of the "passes" we always carrry chains and a shovel.

hey i our state you arent allowed to have either studs or chains on...major ticket.. now days how are the chains attached to the tires same as the olden days? how much for set of chains these days?

hey i our state you arent allowed to have either studs or chains on...major ticket.. now days how are the chains attached to the tires same as the olden days? how much for set of chains these days?

So if I understand it you are not allowed to use studs or chains. But are allowed to run into any one you don't want to as you slip & slide all over the place & the state is allowed to use chemicals or salt on the road that may or may not destroy your car over time. Is the auto insurance in your state owned by the state too? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well, According to the news, we got around 10" of snow and right now it's -5 degrees outside. Think I'll wait till it gets up in the 20's to go mess around with it.

Out here, chains or snow tires are 'required' in certain areas during storms and you'd get a ticket for trying to cross without them on.

insurance is no fault, so we are always at fault that way:) my parents had a couple ditch bangers this past weekend at there curvey road it was so slippery that a cop fell down just tryun to walk yet the county said the roads were fine.. and the two parties that got banged up because of the slippery roads each got tickets...to fast for road conditions.. the cop even had to have a car move out of his way because he was slipping just tryun to turn around to leave.. this curve is slopped like a race track and yu could slide down it from the top with street shoes.. later they came out and threw some sand and salt mix on there....

We are getting your storm now Brent...a foot by this time tomorrow they say. School's getting out and "country folk" leaving work early too. I made the mistake of stopping at a grocery store to get some gum last night...you'd think the world was coming to an end. :eek:

I made the mistake of stopping at a grocery store to get some gum last night...you'd think the world was coming to an end. :eek:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

That one brought tears to my eyes I laughed so hard! We get that around here every time a flake falls.

Oh Brent - don't feel embarrassed - I got Dad's '74 Caprice stuck at the end of our alley. When we finally did get it dug out, none of the wheels were on the ground - boy, did I hear about that for years after!:rolleyes::D

Good luck getting it out - stay warm!

Wes

Well, so I went to get it unstuck earlier. Dang Engine wouldn't start and I ran the batteries down trying!

So, Since the pipes for the kitchen were frozen, thought I'd run to town and get some of those electric pipe heater things.

Got home and my wife was there talking to the neighbor across the street. She has a tractor and offered to come pull me out. I told her my big problem now was just getting it started. So I jumped it with the pathfinder I had driven to town in, let it run for a half hour. Thought I'd give Bubba a chance to unstick himself and you know what? No problems at all. Just backed out back onto the driveway and drove right on up :huh: Why I couldn't have done that yesterday I have no clue.

I do have some nice big wheel ruts down at the end of the drive I have to fix now. Well, Now onto the frozen pipes, and then just maybe I'll be able to get some work work done today...

Man those pipe heater wires work like gangbusters. Crawled around under the house and put them on the pipes. Finished up, plugged them in, and by the time I got out of the crawl space and in the house the water was flowing.

Sure beats using a blowtorch or heat gun.