Maple bowl

Drew Watson

Worked on a chunk of maple today and came up with this bowl. Had a little opps and it ended up being a shade smaller. Still I think it looks ok. Comments and critsisms welcome.

Attachments

• bowl 022.JPG
    bowl 022.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 59
  • bowl 024.JPG
    bowl 024.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 65
Popped the figuring of the wood well there Drew, wall thickness very good or at least the rim detail gives the impression that it's lightweight.

Thanks Guys for all the positive comments.

Sorry Vaughn forgot to add that. It is 7 5/8 X 2 inches or 193 x 50 mm.

It was fun and I do need more practice. Not sure about the sap mark in the bottom of the bowl and on the side (see pic). Don't know what to do in a situation like that?

It was fun trying out different ways of using the tools and playing with the sanding and finishing. I took it up to 320 grit maybe should have done more. Would you use wet and dry paper on bowls or is that just too much? I did have to return it after I had finished it off once as I found a bump I didn't like near the rim. Then re buffed it again. Wife thinks I am nuts standing in a garage in almost sub zero temps. Damn addicting this turning. :rofl:

Chas it is not as thin as I would have liked it as it does get thicker as it progresses to the bottom of the bowl. Not overly thick but it does grow a little. I had an issue with the rim blowing up in my face as it had already done it once. Glad that I bought a new full face shield yesterday.

George the finish is just buffed out and polished on the wheel. I have only had the lathe a month now and have not really played around with any finishes yet other than the buffing wheel. My light box is the top of the freezer in the garage with a floresent light just above it. Hey it seems to work. :rolleyes::rofl:

Attachments

• bowl 023.JPG
    bowl 023.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 7
Very nice Drew. Are the rings on the bottom a foot or a decoration in a slight depression? I’ve done a few Maple bowls lately and find that Maple (or is it just light coloured wood?) shows sanding scratches much more than dark wood, at least Black Walnut. Did you find this to be true? I ended up sanding my last Maple bowl, going from 100 to 1200, three different times because, after I wet it with DNA, I could see scratches. I wet sanded with BLO and 600 grit before going back and starting over with 100.

Being a glutton for punishment I just picked up five more figured Maple rounds about an hour ago.

Very nice Drew. Are the rings on the bottom a foot or a decoration in a slight depression? I’ve done a few Maple bowls lately and find that Maple (or is it just light coloured wood?) shows sanding scratches much more than dark wood, at least Black Walnut. Did you find this to be true? I ended up sanding my last Maple bowl, going from 100 to 1200, three different times because, after I wet it with DNA, I could see scratches. I wet sanded with BLO and 600 grit before going back and starting over with 100.

Being a glutton for punishment I just picked up five more figured Maple rounds about an hour ago.

Chuck yes it is maple and they are decoration in a slight depression so that it sits flat. The rings were just something to try. So it isn't just me finding that the scratches are hard to get rid of. Whew glad to hear that.:D This is the first real bowl that I have turned. I have played around with some scrap cedar and one chunk of laminated fir beam ( old beam in a school ), but I don't have any other expeirience with other woods, Yet. How do you find oak or arbutus?

I am going to dig out a huge oak plank 3" X 12" x 10' ( an old thing that I saved from a garden bench somewhere) that I can cut a couple of bowls out of. I am looking for some 4 inch blanks but funny as it may sound living in the heart of a major forest there aren't many suppliers of blanks in this town ( I can count them on one hand).

Thanks Bruce, Tom & Bernie. I appreciate all the positive words about this. :thumb:

Just spent the day cleaning up around the lathe for the next project. Boy turning sure does make a mess. I am thinking about modifying the DC system and putting a duct outlet behind the lathe to draw all the dust in. I couldn't see a thing with the dust build up in the mask last night. :doh:

Drew,

Haven’t turned Oak or arbutus. I’m pretty new at this also, only seven completed bowls, one Poplar (for a class) two Maple and the rest Black Walnut, an unfinished English Walnut natural edge and three green California Bay Laurel. I have a whole bunch of exotic blanks that I’ve bought over the last few months. Most of them are wet still. After the Holidays, I’ll probably rough turn them so they will dry faster.

I have a DC connected hood sitting real close to the back of the lathe. I find that it catches the dust, especially during sanding, as well as the lint from the Beall buffs, but not the chips. I still wear a respirator. I turn on my air cleaner also when I sand.

I have a DC connected hood sitting real close to the back of the lathe. I find that it catches the dust, especially during sanding, as well as the lint from the Beall buffs, but not the chips. I still wear a respirator. I turn on my air cleaner also when I sand.

I was out today re organizing the lathe area and have come to realised that there is so much that i have to do. I have been re thinking the stand as opposed to building a full bench cabinet as I can use more storage space for all the things to do with the lathe and some drawers as well it would allow me to design the DC system that would be more effective. Right now I have a hose that i move around to try to suck up all the dust and chips. Here is what i have ended up with now ( yea it is never this clean) . I also have to move the 800 CFM air cleaner so that it is closer to the lathe. The dust is just getting everywhere in the house. I also wear a full cartridge respirator mask as I just went through sinus surgery for a really bad sinus infection.

Attachments

• Lathe area 002.JPG
    Lathe area 002.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 10
Looking good Andrew. Makes me realize I ain't doing enough spinning lately.

Hi Alex, How are things going? Yea you have to get back at it and think about the deck in the spring. How is the kitchen doing?

I was going through the FWW mags tonight looking for a wall clamp rack ( found some wall space finally) and found some projects that I had wanted to make last year. Also a good write up on scrapers.