Workshop Walls Paint

Mud & tape will be done on my workshop walls this week so I'm getting ready to paint. I'm thinking the walls & ceiling will be all one color (off white) to make it easy. Does one coat of primer and one coat of paint sound right? Flat or semi-gloss?

Rob, I would not use flat as the fine dust seems to stick to the wall more. I am looking at repainting my own shop and am going to look at eggshell or semi.

I can't think of a reason to ever put more than one coat of primer on a wall. The point of the primer is not to adequately cover the surface itself -- rather to facilitate the top coats (presumably paint) ability to cover.

Personally, I wouldn't use gloss but I would use a satin or eggshell.

Good advice all the way around here. I went a slightly different direction, though. I painted the ceiling in my addition only with Kilz primer, so it's basically a flat white - not planning to get fancy - this is a shop. My walls are lauan paneling for the bottom 4' with 4' of white pegboard above it. The white pegboard improves the light level as well as providing lots of area to hang stuff.