chisels, again

ken werner

I've looked at previous threads elsewhere, but here we go again...

Can anyone who has experience with both compare LN with Ashley Iles bench chisels? I'm getting ready to upgrade from my 1980s ash handled Marples, and am seeking wisdom in the choice.

Many thanks,
Ken

ken, my "go to" set is 2-cherries, my "good" set are pre 1900 bucks.....and i keep both the blue handled marples(pre irwin) and yellow handled stanleys for beating on......tod

Same as tod.
Old buck sockets I've restored, rehandled, are my good ones. [Still working on getting a full set]

Plastic stanleys with metal top are my beaters. [When I know there are nails, screws around]

Hi Ken, I've used both and own neither. 'Fraid I'm mostly another vintage chisel person, though I prefer tanged chisels. There are a few exceptions as regards a few new chisels--Blue Spruce being one.

Both the AI/LN took a good beating. Both held up about as well. Used them both to knock out some waste in some hard English Ash. Both edges held up fine. Both needed honing at about the same state, though the AIs needed a touch more work.

If I was looking to buy new chisels, I would spring for the AIs as I think they are the best value in new really good chisels.

Take care, Mike

I'm mostly a vintage chisel guy also...I do have 5 blue steel Matsumura's which I rarely use, good chisels, just grab the old Stanleys and similar when I have work to do. I keep multiples sharpened, like 1/4" and 3/8", I use those sizes a lot if I'm cleaning out dovetails.

So lets say I wanted to buy some "old" chisels. The only place I know of easily is ebay besides Mid West Tool Collectors association.

Any other places to check?

Any pointers on what to look for?

Hi Travis,

Most of mine came off of eBay, a few from my local tool club, and a few from antique dealers.

For socket chisels, that the socket has been beat to crap by a hammer directly on it--usually because the handle has gone missing [did I mention I prefer tanged chisels <g>]. And that the sockets don't show cracks where they join the shaft.

In general, plenty of length left on the blade, that the blade backs are relatively straight--i.e. the chisel is not bent, and that there is not any "discoloration" color at the edge. That is indicative the chisel has been overheated during grinding in the past.

A handle in good shape is nice, but are easy to remake.

Take care, Mike