A Visit With Garrett Hack

Thanks for the videos Stu. They just add the extra dimension so missing in pictures and text.:thumb:

It was great to hear the Japanese even though i dont understand it. You get the tone and mood from people talking. What a visit. Behind the scenes with a craftsman. Nothing to beat this kind of meet.

Made my day.:thumb:

By the way you speak pretty fluent Japanese to me. Could hardly tell you a Canadian.

Hi Stu
Fantastic! I'm glad it all came together as planned.
Thanks for documenting what must have been a fun and inspiring few days. It must have been a great ride. I'll be looking over those videos quite a few more times.

All the best
Peter

Outstanding !

Thanks for all the pics and videos. Looks like a good time was had by all.

And congrats on the new plane:thumb:. I know it's in good hands.

Thanks for the links Stu. I'm also green with envy.

I met Inomoto-san last year at Harrelson Stanley's place and made my own kanna. Did he make one in front of you guys when you were there? He knocks them out in about 5 - 10 mins.

I generally use only kana but I might have to invest in a western plane for when the grain is too bad. I've never seen a kanna with a blade set more than 45 deg.

Thanks for the links Stu. I'm also green with envy.

I met Inomoto-san last year at Harrelson Stanley's place and made my own kanna. Did he make one in front of you guys when you were there? He knocks them out in about 5 - 10 mins.

I generally use only kana but I might have to invest in a western plane for when the grain is too bad. I've never seen a kanna with a blade set more than 45 deg.

Hey Patrick

Inomoto san is sure a bundle of energy eh? :D

Boy does he work fast, and his end results speak for themselves, wonderful Dai :thumb:

yeah, he whacked on out in no time flat, I've got video of him doing so, in his little workshop, no moss growing on him :D :thumb:

Cheers!

He told everyone (via Harrelson) that when he was younger he had to knock out some rediculous ammount of dai's a day to make money (100 comes to mind) so that's where the speed part comes from.

I'd like to contact him to see about getting a dai but his business card only lists phone numbers and my Japanese isn't good enough yet to be able to call (although I did actually understand some of the conversation in the video).