new Jeep. Great deal!!!

Frank Fusco

Jeep has just introduced a new model. It is still the familiar squarish military monster we have long loved. But this one has some new features. It is four doors and bigger. Price is only $43,000.00+ . But, for this you get: no engine :), no transmission :) , no seats, steering wheel or most of the other things that make a car a car. Wow! :D
Is this a great country, or what? :thumb:

Actually, I'm very excited by Fiat's investment. From what I've read, the current CEO is a miracle worker: In a few years, he's managed to turn Fiat from the producer of 70s and 80s vehicular crapola we know and loathe to a producer of some surprisingly excellent cars.

One of the best of the lot is the Fiat 500. While it's technically not as good a value as the competing Toyota Yaris or Ford Fiesta (which should be absolutely exellent,) you have to think of it as a cheaper, better looking alternative to the Volkswagen Beetle and Mini Cooper - one we'll be seeing next year.

fiat-500-photo.jpg

It will be followed shortly by the Fiat 500 Abarth, a go-faster version with stiffened suspension, racing stripes, and a turbo....which still manages to cost less than a base-model non-turbo Mini Cooper.

From what I've read, it's a very good little car - cheap, fuel-efficient, pleasant to drive, reliable, and surprisingly safe. And Fiat has plans to start building the engines right here in the USA.

.........Fiat from the producer of 70s and 80s vehicular crapola we know and loathe to a producer of some surprisingly excellent cars.

In the 60's and early 70's FIAT did produce some fine automobiles. The 124 sport coupe and Spider were pretty fine for that era. Granted, they also produced and imported some clunkers.

Those were the days!

Tony

BTW -- how did we get from Jeep to Fiat? :huh:

In the 60's and early 70's FIAT did produce some fine automobiles. The 124 sport coupe and Spider were pretty fine for that era. Granted, they also produced and imported some clunkers.

Those were the days!

Tony

BTW -- how did we get from Jeep to Fiat? :huh:

The Spyder? Surely you JEST, sir! I got to know that car, and never could have any measure of respect for it! It was quick, I'll grant it that... but "quick" is the end of the story.

The Spyder? Surely you JEST, sir! I got to know that car, and never could have any measure of respect for it! It was quick, I'll grant it that... but "quick" is the end of the story.

Tim,
Are you confusing the 124 Spider with the X-19 Spyder?

The 124 was a good car.

The X-19 was junk! They were also rust buckets. You could check the condition of both fron tires while sitting in the driver's seat of a two year old X-19! Basically an over-sized door stop...

Na, it was the 124. That was in... lessee... about 1979 or 1980. I'd thought it was a 'y' Spyder, but I was mistaken; it was indeed an 'i' Spider. That car was built with about the same quality as the X1/9's. NASTY. Everything was ready to break on contact.

The X1/9 was a strange little car. Even a skinny guy like me could, when he put his mind to it, lift the front end enough to move it sideways on dry pavement. :)

Na, it was the 124. That was in... lessee... about 1979 or 1980. I'd thought it was a 'y' Spyder, but I was mistaken; it was indeed an 'i' Spider. That car was built with about the same quality as the X1/9's. NASTY. Everything was ready to break on contact.

The X1/9 was a strange little car. Even a skinny guy like me could, when he put his mind to it, lift the front end enough to move it sideways on dry pavement. :)

I don't remember the model number, but right after my divorce in 1977/78 I looked at a Fiat Spider... as a newly single man I figured a sport car would be fun to drive...(and she took the 280Z in the divorce and left me with a Toyota Corolla....I had a Corvette when we first got married, but sold it to buy a house) but I needed a back seat because I left the marriage with a 5 year old.... only thing I remember about the Fiat was the shift was about half way up the front console on the dash... that and it was really short in leg room... as was the Porshe 914 (Poor man's porsche)... at 6 ft, I had trouble getting into either car. Wound up with a '76 Alpha Romeo Alphetta... and I think Italians must be part gorilla... by the time I got the seat adjusted for proper leg room, and the seat back adjusted, I could JUST reach the steering wheel... Great car though... drove it 13 years.

Just recalled. It wasn't a web site. I saw in an automotive magazine while waiting to get my oil changed.
I wuz going to order one but my SS check hasn't come yet for this month. ;)

Well, looks like the magazine was blowing smoke up your skirt, and it's pretty easy to confirm. ;) I just "built" a 4-door Wrangler with every option I could find, and it came out south of $26K.

I am the obvious dumb one here, I owned(still own the 01) a 97,99 and o1 grand cherokee limited. Once they hit 60-70 thousand miles, they are shot, and noone can defend them in my eyes. I owned three of them, and parts broke down I never knew existed in cars.
shame on chrysler and jeep products, shame on them. the o1 is my daughters now, she uses it to get around locally, Ive dumped alot into that.
Idont know much about cars, but I do keep them serviced as directed by manufacturer, so lack of service never contributed to the poor showing of my 3 jeeps. I loved the style, and will admit the ride was superior to almost every other 4 wheel drive, the reason I went for 3 of them, but I really didnt experience disaster until they all started hitting 60-70 thousand miles.

It is shown in the Dec. 2009 issue of Automobile magazine. I can't find the article on their web site.
But, I was wrong. The price is only $42,300.00, not $43,000.00. Why wait for me SS check? :rofl:

I had 3 grand Cherokees. The one with the V8 was a great car. The 2 (one company one my wifes) had the smaller motor and the transmission went on both around 55,000 miles. We also had a Grand Voyager mini van. We coasted into the dealer to trade it in with a blown transmission at 50,000 miles. We traded it in for the Jeep.
Now the 68 hemi road runner I bought new in 68 was another matter I still have exciting dreams about that car. Wish I had it now.
I have a 1980 Corvette I bought about 7 years ago. Done quite a bit of restoration to it. Unfortunately the economy and job situation is causing me to list it for sale in the next few days.

thanx bob, for posting that.
The transmission was only part of the problems.
The 99 was bad from the first day we took it home.
The car jerked after a stop, and jeep kept taking it back but couldnt seem to repair it. (I dont think, or actually I do, that the dealer understands when one buys a new car he or she wants to use it and not have to be stuck constantly bringing it in and out of service, never having use of it, and paying insurance for a car youre not driving)
After 4 months of jerking us around, Chrysler admitted they couldnt figure out the problem, and after telling me about changing the yoke, etc.....they decided to just change the entire driveshaft and whatever else had to be replaced. so around 6 months after I took it out of the showroom, it was in correct condition. Seems they never figured out the driveshaft/transmission stuff. Axle problems, nothing seemed to go right after 60 thousand miles.
I had a extended warranty on 2 of them, and man did it come in handy.
Ofcourse jeep tried to jerk me around on some of the repairs, saying I broke something, which was just incredible. They just refused to admit they sold me a piece of junk.
and after all this, Id still love the look of the jeeps, but can never get myself to purchase one again.