Ponderosa Pine bowl

Curt Fuller

I haven't turned much pine and after turning this I'm not sure if I'll turn much more. But this sure made my garage smell good while I was working on it. This bowl is Ponderosa Pine, 11.5" x 2.5" and finished with Briwax. The dark areas in the grain are some kind of resin, very hard, and somewhat translucent. The wood came from a tree in our town that was in the yard of an old landmark home that was recently torn down for "progress". The owners have asked me to make a few things for them from the wood. After turning a few things from this sticky, gooey wood I know why you don't see a lot of pine turnings.

Attachments

• Ponderosa Pine bowl 1.jpg
    Ponderosa Pine bowl 1.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 67
It looks like what we call pitch pine. Full of resin and really messes the lathe and tools up though as you said the smell is great. I have turned it once. hat was enough though I do turn other pines as it is readily available recycling things. Very soft and tends to rip a lot.

The bowl has to be worth the effort this once, it is a lovely graining in it and the simple shape lets the wood speak for itself.

Pete

Looks good from here, Curt. Even though it's not wood you're likely to turn in the future, I'm sure this bowl will be special to the owners of the tree.