New lathe decision made

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
I am about to max out my little hobby shop. I have decided on the Jet 1642. I have heard from tons of folks and considered a myriad of options. I have decided to go with the beef.

I have found a factory recondition unit with factory warranties on-line at a place called CPO. About a third off, free shipping, and no sales tax. That means a leetle more dinero for other goodies. :thumb:

Anyone ever do business with these folks?

Congratulations on the new toy Carol, Now the fun begins as does the extra costs. :eek: Looking forward to seeing the pics when you get it. Oh, I went on line to check out CPO and these were the results i got.

Chief Petty Officer
Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra
College of Physiotherapists of Ontario
The College of Psychologists of Ontario

The last one would explain lots in regards to this spinny hobby. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think you're going to really like that lathe, Carol. I know a lot of folks like theirs. :thumb: Congrats on making the decision. When does it arrive?

Thanks, Larry. That's what I wanted to know! I had read all the on-line stuff but it is best to hear actual expereineces from people you trust.

The 2 HP 220v model, Stu.

Anyone who already owns one - can you give me the overall footprint/real estate requirement? This will be a tight fit. I think I can get it in the door. The question remains if I can get in there with it!

And Drew, I have e Jet mini and another no name mini. I have already dropped a bundle. :rofl: But I know the money drain will continue!

:congrats: Carol.:thumb: I have not bought from CPO but often review their adverts. Shipping is what kills the deals for us in Canada.

All the savings you made will be needed for the first chuck, lathe tools and on and on into the vortex.:thumb:

Carol,

I am very envious. The 1642 will be my next big purchase I’ll start saving after the holidays. I also have a Jet Mini and I think most of the mini toys work on the larger ones. I hope.

Foot print

Congratulations Carol ! I think you will be very happy with this machine. I've had one for several years and love it.:thumb:

The overall footprint is not really big to me. Total about 4' long, less than 2' deep not including your standing space. These are not actual measurements since I am at work, but I spend a lot of time next to mine ;-)) It also comes in pieces that are easy to move and assemble with another person.

HTH.

I am about to max out my little hobby shop. I have decided on the Jet 1642. I have heard from tons of folks and considered a myriad of options. I have decided to go with the beef.

I have found a factory recondition unit with factory warranties on-line at a place called CPO. About a third off, free shipping, and no sales tax. That means a leetle more dinero for other goodies. :thumb:

Anyone ever do business with these folks?

Carol,
I looked real hard at the 1642 when I bought my lathe... I really liked everything about except having to slide the headstock to the end of the ways to turn outboard... maybe they've changed that on the newer models... my shop layout wouldn't let me use the 1642.

I went with the 1442 and really like the Jet machines.... I also have a 1014 that is a real work horse... both of them are.