3520B indexing

Paul Gallian

In Memoriam
Anyone ever use the built-in indexing capabilities on the 3520B lathe?

If yes.. use to do what -- specifically what (like flutes on spindles)
If yes.. How do you do it?
If yes does your lathe have slop when pin is installed?

any help would be appreciated.

I've only used the index pin on rare occasions to hold a piece in one place while I power sand it. I've noticed there's a bit of slop in it unless I screw the pin in all the way, but for sanding it's not really an issue.

Paul,

I have used mine on a cherry pedestal table that I'm making for my wife. It has 3 legs that are 120º apart. The legs are dovetailed into the turned pedestal. I built a "jig" / Box out of plywood. The bottom had a flange that fit snuggly between the ways of the lathe and a wooden "washer" with a bolt that held it in place on the lathe. The box had two different "tops" with different sized slots cut into one end. One slot was wider and I installed it and and used a straight cutting bit and put flat surfaces 120º apart at the bottom of the center spindle. Then I removed that one and installed the 2nd one and used a dovetail bit to put dove tails within a portion of the "flat spots".

I used a box to route dovetails into a turned pedestal. The dovetails were 120º apart. Then I cut the pins on the legs buy using the same bit in my router table.

I hope this makes sense.

I bought Norm's plan for Martha Washington's candle stand and used his methods to make it.

When I get the finish appled, I'll post it here. I'm in the process of appying the finish.

Ken,

Thank you -- I am doing the same type of thing but I am calling mine a shaker table -- My mother-inlaw has a table that I stole the measurements from-- hers is maple and mine is walnut. all is done but the leg attachment.

Your suggestion has helped -- l like the dovetail way -- I was going to just use the mortise and tenon approach...

paul

Vaughn,

I was thinking about something like this.
I am just exploring ideas what do you think..?

Last edited:
Vaughn,

I think... those tend to be pretty expensive compared to a turned plywood wheel with a broken bandsaw blade wrapped around it, or with index holes drilled in it at the angular spacing you want...

...but then I'm pretty strongly oriented to DIY. :)

Wheels like the one shown are nice & pretty, but indexing is pretty easy to accomplish. with that many index holes, too, counting the dang things can get tedious.

How many different index divisions are you likely to use? Twelve index holes (30 degrees) will get you two, three, four, and six, and twelve divisions. Twenty-four (15 degrees, like the inner ring of holes on that plate) will also give you eight and twenty-four divisions. The plate shown has 72 holes in the outer ring, which doesn't buy you much over 24; 72 can only be divided by 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 12, 18, 24, and 36, (adding only 9, 18, and 36).

Vaughn,

I still don't see how this is substantially different than using the built-in indexing holes. Perhaps the plate makes it a little easier to see what compass position the lathe is at, but for something like a 3-legged table, it seems it'd be pretty easy to figure out the three spots without it. If you just need it to see the reference points, a couple minutes with a compass and a paper plate would get the same result.

Far be it from me to talk someone out of a tool purchase, but for a 3520b owner, the indexing plate seems to be a solution without a problem to use it on. ;)

...and if there's a little slop in the pin... a Quick-Grip clamp will hold the spindle firmly against the leading or trailing edge of the hole. If the pin is slightly undersized, another slightly larger one could be found... :)

Kind of wanted to do more than a 3 legged table someday. Googled 3520B indexing and several sites disagree on the number of positions available.

I can understand their confusion after seeing how they implemented the system.

Vaughn I appreciate your knowledge and advise -- I will give it a try -- flutes first.. then who knows....

Kind of wanted to do more than a 3 legged table someday. Googled 3520B indexing and several sites disagree on the number of positions available.

I can understand their confusion after seeing how they implemented the system.

Oooh - I see what you mean. Twelve index holes in the spinde at 30 degrees, then four oddly-spaced holes in the headstock through which to engage the spindle holes. Seems like mathematically there would be 48 positions available, but there may be overlap. The manual calls out 36. Interestingly, they give you 17 different divisions, which is more than you can get with 48 positions. Highly versatile, even if it's goofy as heck & difficult to use. :)

Tim,

Thanks for putting this in words -- it is rather confusing. You have expressed this in away to so others may see the problem.

thanks paul