Juniper vase

Curt Fuller

This wood came from a tree I had to take out of my mom's yard. It's some kind of ornamental juniper, not red cedar but similar. It's about 8" x 5.5" I'm guessing, didn't really measure it, and just has a first coat of oil on it so far, still wet.

Attachments

• juniper vase 1.jpg
    juniper vase 1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 56
  • juniper vase.jpg
    juniper vase.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 44
Is that the same juniper thgat we have over here? has berries ansd smell like gin? I have never seen it turned before and would expect it to be like pine, soft and difficult to get a finish. The colouring is worth the effort if it is. A nice looking piece there. Does it still smell if it's the same wood?

Pete

Those are beautiful... I like the shape of them... great job.

I have a juniper next to my driveway that's struggling and I've hit it with the lawn tractor once or twice and broken a couple of limbs... it's pretty scraggly and I've been threatening it for 4 years now about taking it out... seems to work.. it's growing a little better... they are low growing about 4 ft max and about 3 or 4 around... the one on the other side of the drive way is about to take over the mailbox... I don't get any berries.. just bag worms.. on mine.

We cut some tall trees in the back yard last fall... they looked like cedars, but in this area I think they are actually a form of Juniper... the wood has some similar coloring as yours... the wood is soft and a little oily, but sure makes pretty turnings.

Curt, those are really nice pieces. The wood smells like what? I have never turned any juniper.

Thanks everyone!

Wayne it smells like a cedar chest or cedar closet. I read somewhere that the only true cedar grows in the mideast part of the world. The wood on the North American continent is all one or another variety of juniper. We just call it cedar for some reason.